Bringing an 86 back from the dead - Page 31 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 167Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 322 (permalink) Old 18th June 2020, 22:14
Groupie

What a stunner your 86 Bunny will be. I can't wait to see it. Looking again at page one of this thread... Wow!! What a long way it's come. Well done Sam!!
Samwise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 322 (permalink) Old 19th June 2020, 01:33 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loisaida View Post
What a stunner your 86 Bunny will be. I can't wait to see it. Looking again at page one of this thread... Wow!! What a long way it's come. Well done Sam!!

Yeah it's been quite the journey so far

I've been looking at it a bit too recently, just making a little "History of the 4k86" series for my youtube videos while I wait for the car to be done with it's wrap.
Loisaida likes this.

Project 4k86: Rocket bunny V2 kitted GT86 Equipped with Air Ride Suspension, Work wheels, Big brakes and one day an LS3!
Check out my project thread for the revival of my GT86 which had been written off by the previous owner, a.k.a Project 4kGT86:

https://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/for...back-dead.html

Use my Discount code for Whiteline, just use code "WL2033" on the Whiteline store to Save £20 your first order when spending £150 or more!
post #303 of 322 (permalink) Old 19th June 2020, 22:36 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
I can't wait to see it either. Will be popping up there early next week to drop off the freshly painted rear diffuser as well as a new set of boot hinges (the OEM ones on the car are red ofcourse, from the factory and I can't expect them to wrap something as intricate as a boot hinge so i picked up some new black OEM ones) so when i'm there i'll be getting a sneak peak of how the car is can't wait!

for now there's been some more little videos:

https://i.imgur.com/UPZ6d1J.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3vHn6xb.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/upGWaTJ.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/NPzT9fI.mp4

It appears they're actually going further with it than originally discussed taking the wrap all the way under the widebody and even wrapping over the sections of the cut arches that have a layer of underseal around them. Ofcourse in reality this doesn't matter either way as the arches cover all of that up but assuming that it doesn't lift or peel at all near the underseal it's good to know no pesky eyes will be able to peek up my arches (that's quite the euphemism) and see the original red under them.
Loisaida likes this.

Project 4k86: Rocket bunny V2 kitted GT86 Equipped with Air Ride Suspension, Work wheels, Big brakes and one day an LS3!
Check out my project thread for the revival of my GT86 which had been written off by the previous owner, a.k.a Project 4kGT86:

Use my Discount code for Whiteline, just use code "WL2033" on the Whiteline store to Save £20 your first order when spending £150 or more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 322 (permalink) Old 21st June 2020, 10:57
Expert

Garage
Wow! What a colour!!
Gray, Loisaida and Samwise like this.

Black GT86 modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler and Valenti rear lights.
post #305 of 322 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2020, 17:33
Groupie

I can imagine the sunshine bouncing around that colour and the body kit will look like fluid.
post #306 of 322 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 18:41 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
The time is nigh to get the car back from it's wrap, just a bit of a shame that the weather is so shocking this week!

I'll be saving posting any pics up until i've had a chance to get it outside and make a little "reveal" video but also because I really want to take it down to Fuel Coffee house just outside Henfield This Saturday (they open at 11am) to give a chance to have a little meet with friends and anyone that's interested in seeing it in the flesh before i post up any videos/pictures online, so if you'd like to pop down for a coffee and to see the car, I hope to see you there!

But in the meantime i've made a few small videos for my youtube channel. The first couple of videos were a 2 part vlog just going over the history of the car, the repair, the costs, etc which of course anyone reading this has likely already seen so I won't bore you with a link to that but the other shows off the completion of the custom fibreglass work on the Rocket Bunny diffuser.

It was quite a long process which wasn't without it's headaches for both myself and the painter but i'm thrilled with how it turned out, the idea i had in mind coming to reality really pays off.
After getting the Surround of the "V" light fibreglassed in to rocket bunny diffuser it was largely a case of tweaking the position, fixing any cracks that occured from that and then building up the surrounding area with Fibreglass based filler and eventually fine body filler. Doing so allowed me to sand back and form the shapes that I was looking for around the edges of the light so it looked as intentional as possible.

When it was close to completion i then passed it off to a friend of mine who wanted to finish up the filler work and then paint it gloss black, unfortunately for the both of us my fibreglass and filler materials reacted quite badly with his paint which I know can be quite a common issue for painters when dealing with someone elses' work which was why he wanted to finish the filler work himself but unfortunately I think it was a bit late at that point as the bulk of the material had been added by me.
Either way some fantastic work on their end they were able to get it complete and it came out looking incredible, super smooth and in a really glassy gloss black finish.

I delivered it down to Monster wraps and i'll see it next when I get the car back!

Video of the diffuser work here:

post #307 of 322 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 22:32
Expert

Garage
Fingers crossed for saturday!!
Samwise likes this.

Black GT86 modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler and Valenti rear lights.
post #308 of 322 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 00:03
Groupie

Gutted. Really looking forward to seeing your car in the flesh but can't make this Saturday.
Samwise likes this.
post #309 of 322 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 06:12
Super Moderator

I can't make it on Saturday Sam but I'm sure there will be loads of photos! Can't wait to see it in person though. What an achievement and what a journey!!
Gray and Samwise like this.
post #310 of 322 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 17:00
Expert

Garage
Angry

Weather not looking so good at the moment, Sam.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page