2020 review - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 5th December 2019, 21:35 Thread Starter
Groupie

2020 review

In most ways, more of the same:

I do like the British racing green and bronze wheel combo.
But why is the steering wheel on the wrong side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th December 2019, 07:31
Expert

Garage
It's a US market version. Not coming to the UK.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th December 2019, 09:15
Expert

Someone presented a caron here quite similar to the one in the video. Retro looks, racing green, with louvres on the rear window? Maybe someone at Toyota liked it
[edit] here it is .

Moves With Rowds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th December 2019, 16:19
GT86 Senior

It's annoying we rarely get green options in the UK. Especially as it's basically British racing green :/
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 7th December 2019, 08:54
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
It's annoying we rarely get green options in the UK. Especially as it's basically British racing green :/
I think it may be due to green cars not selling well in the UK. There is a superstition that green cars are unlucky. They are difficult to sell on.
Tony H likes this.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 7th December 2019, 13:16 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
I think it may be due to green cars not selling well in the UK. There is a superstition that green cars are unlucky. They are difficult to sell on.

Interesting. I've actually never owned a green car: grey, white, bronze, blue, red, blue, silver & now white.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 7th December 2019, 18:44
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
I've certainly heard that myself, but I've always reckoned that it may well not apply to sportscars. That said, the days of BRG British sportscars like Triumph TRs & MGs are so long ago, current generations may not see the link. Would be an interesting topic for some market research.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 7th December 2019, 19:29
BRZ
GT86 Senior

I see lots of Minis in Green... but no other brands / modern cars really

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 7th December 2019, 21:18 Thread Starter
Groupie

I'm assuming a lot of thought goes into the range of colours offered for any line of car.

Clearly fashion would be the chief driver but conservative options would also need to be included in most marques.
Hence, white. The trouble with fashionable colours is that it dates a car: that burnt orange that was the in-thing in 2005 now looks like old fashioned puke.
And copy-catting. Mazda here introduced a fairly stunning metallic cherry red colour. Very popular. Now Suzuki, Kia & others have followed suit.

I could quibble over the shade of red offered in "our" car but I generally think the colour range for 86s is fine. The BRZ's Subaru blue is a bit of a stunner we can't unfortunately get.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 8th December 2019, 08:54
Groupie

On the subject of colour, I think the colour options are dire in the UK for the 86, classic red, white, black, silver, none of them are bad at all, but they just lack imagination from the manufacturer. The dark blue is nice and slight change from the norm but not by much. For example the crystal red on the new MX5 is different, so it the pale ceramic white on it, its just a better take on the standard colours, and blacks really can have some strange hues if they tried.

Try Toyota.de in Germany, 'build' an 86 and look at the colour options or wraps, at least they seem to be having a go at sprucing up the range. They did a nice Shark Grey gloss a couple of years ago in Germany for the 86, and while the colour is fashionable I do like it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page