GR Yaris, official - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 11:09 Thread Starter
GT86 Senior

Garage
GR Yaris, official

Anyone else think this looks and sounds brilliant?

Full spec over at Pistonheads, basics are 260bhp, 4WD and optional Torsens for front and rear. Custom platform and bodywork (including a lowered roofline!) compared to the standard Yaris. It's a bit lardy though, heavier than a GT86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 11:47
Expert

for front and rear? as in it's 4wd? If so, not sure it fits well with class/niche, of light & cheap subcompact hatchback. Adding all wheel drive will increase traction and so, true, but gained extra weight imho will reduce main appeal of lightness from which other virtues like good handling & acceleration despite low power stem from.
I can understand all wheel drive in bigger and more powerful cars, but this seems wrong one to pair with. Polo, Lupo, Yaris, Fiesta, Ka, C2, Civics, past Yaris-es and such .. they all benefit from relatively low weight in current obese cars era.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 11:50
Groupie

Looks like quite a cool car! I'd be interested to see how much it costs though. £27-30k?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 12:21 Thread Starter
GT86 Senior

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
for front and rear? as in it's 4wd? If so, not sure it fits well with class/niche, of light & cheap subcompact hatchback. Adding all wheel drive will increase traction and so, true, but gained extra weight imho will reduce main appeal of lightness from which other virtues like good handling & acceleration despite low power stem from.
I can understand all wheel drive in bigger and more powerful cars, but this seems wrong one to pair with. Polo, Lupo, Yaris, Fiesta, Ka, C2, Civics, past Yaris-es and such .. they all benefit from relatively low weight in current obese cars era.
It's not really a "4WD Yaris" though, it's a purpose-built performance car, intended as a homologation car for rallying, so it makes sense to build it around a 4WD system. They've used a lot of weight-reducing materials, including a very lightweight engine, aluminium body panels and a CFRP roof. Weight is shown as 1280kg on Pistonheads, so around 30kg heavier than a GT86 - but also 30% more power. I think it can cope with being a little heavier than a standard Yaris.

@Kaviar, I'm guessing price will be north of £30k as it's an incredibly bespoke car.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 12:34
Expert

30% more power will play less role, then probably much higher relative torque gains from forced induction for both by numbers and by 'push in seats' subjectively felt acceleration. Still, 4wd in my mind pairs better with subies & evos then small hatches, for whose 1000kg (or maybe even less) and FWD only seems better combination. New type-r civics show, that it's still possible to make very quick on tarmac tracks/lot of fun/even with high power&torque turboed engine car even with FWD only. As for rally offroading gravel roads .. again there are other cars imho better fit in stock form. Homologation whatever, i'm sure that real rally or rallycross yaris-es will have very little to do with these, probably sequential gearboxes, plate diffs, completely different suspension, stripped and seam welded body and so on .. but these sold for generic public ones, not exactly rally material, rather just deceiptful marketing that it's "like those in WRC".
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 13:13 Thread Starter
GT86 Senior

Garage
It's meant to be fun. Be thankful manufacturers still remember what that means. By your logic Toyota could've just mass-produced a supercharged Yaris with GT86 power levels, as they did once before. Instead, they've built a bespoke car with a new chassis, new bodyshell, and a load more power, and created the modern equivalent of a WRX or Evo. If you like cars, that should make you happy.
Ade and Kaviar like this.
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 14:22

Just to get people's hopes up, Toyota have already "announced" that they plan to release high performance versions of all models...

https://twitter.com/ToyotaUK/status/1098498083527278592
spikyone, Tony H, Enut and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 19:12

Garage
That actually looks really nice!

JESS! What were you thinking, man?
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 19:45
Expert

Turbocharged Aygo please

About time Toyota started beefing up the rest of the range, seemed a complete waste to be entering so many motorsport categories but have little in the range of sporty cars (or even performance hybrids).
Tony H likes this.

Cosworth Stage 1.3
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 20:14
Expert

Garage
I like all of it except the mouth at the front. Wish they had incorporated some curves into it. I am sure it is practical though. I imagine the aftermarket will throw a bit more design into a re-imagined front bumper. I love the look of the Corolla at the front. The front of this GR Yaris leaves me cold, especially with all the curves on the rest of the body!

Black GT86 modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map. Also, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler, shark fin, Intec brake light, Valentis.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page