Reactions to your 86 - Page 67 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of 675 (permalink) Old 30th June 2019, 12:37

Garage
I had someone take a pic of mine in - whilst I was in it - when I was parked at a Morrisons not that long ago haha. It does get attention and it turns many heads, especially when it's clean and shiny. I've not even done any mods to it... yet. It's also nice to cross paths with other like-minded 86 owners. Had a nice discussion with a chap not long ago in that SAME Morrisons car park (I eat lunch there on Friday's).

I've also noticed more people want to try and 'race' you since getting the GT86, especially on the Motorways. I'm however never so irresponsible
Subota Boy likes this.

JESS! What were you thinking, man?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 675 (permalink) Old 1st July 2019, 10:13
Groupie

Whilst not a crazily flashy car, the 86 does rate some attention here.

However, I was surprised to be asked a bevy of questions by the boys I teach. I drive it to work & park on the College grounds & some must have seen me arriving & leaving.
"Is that you in the white 86, sir?" etc. The older ones ask intelligent questions about performance & handling as they are mostly in the process of getting a licence and expect to be driving by year's end.
Subota Boy and martinwood333 like this.
post #663 of 675 (permalink) Old 1st July 2019, 18:15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couthie 88 View Post
Whilst not a crazily flashy car, the 86 does rate some attention here.
However, I was surprised to be asked a bevy of questions by the boys I teach. I drive it to work & park on the College grounds & some must have seen me arriving & leaving.
"Is that you in the white 86, sir?" etc. The older ones ask intelligent questions about performance & handling as they are mostly in the process of getting a licence and expect to be driving by year's end.
That's actually pretty awesome to hear. The GT86 is one of those cars that pretty much only car enthusiasts will buy. Your average car owner won't walk into a Toyota showroom to scout for a new Aygo or Corolla and end up driving away with an 86, and that's in no way a bad thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 675 (permalink) Old 1st July 2019, 21:51
Groupie

OZ is a pretty car focussed place. Pretty well every young person has his/her licence by 17 and access to a car even if it's Mum or Dad's spare vehicle.
Needless to say, anything that isn't a "white bread" vehicle will gain the attention of 16-17 year old boys.
martinwood333 likes this.
post #665 of 675 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2019, 09:05
Groupie

An interesting table (?) on cars per capita:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...les_per_capita

As you can see, OZ is much higher up the ladder, though all its 19 million cars aren't, regrettably, 86s.

BTW note NZ. Given the size of the place, the cars there must be all bumper to bumper.
post #666 of 675 (permalink) Old 5th July 2019, 21:54
Expert

Had a man on a bike signalling that I should slow down/cool it as I was driving past... slowly??? I guess the car looks fast.

Moves With Rowds
post #667 of 675 (permalink) Old 6th September 2020, 09:47
Super Moderator

Whilst having a drive through Covid test, heard the comments of 'That's a lovely looking car'. And they don't use the giant cotton buds that were used on the TV show Gladiators!!
Subota Boy and martinwood333 like this.
post #668 of 675 (permalink) Old 18th October 2020, 08:34

Garage
The guy at the supermarket entrance counting the number of customers going in said "that is an awesome car you're driving". I felt a bit embarrassed that it hasn't had a wash for a while!
Kaviar and martinwood333 like this.
post #669 of 675 (permalink) Old 19th October 2020, 09:29

Garage
On Friday when I was walking back to my car to eat my lunch (I have to park on a nearby street due to the hospital I work in on a Friday), a couple was walking ahead of me. I overheard the woman say "Oh there's that nice car". I assume they must live nearby and see my car when I'm there most Fridays.

A while back, when parked up in a supermarket car park, I also had a woman whip out her phone and take a picture of my car, whilst I was in it She was stood about 1 car-length away, can only guess she never seen me.

Last edited by martinwood333; 19th October 2020 at 09:31.
post #670 of 675 (permalink) Old 19th October 2020, 11:49

Garage
TBH I've never owned a vehicle that has attracted so much attention. Sadly it's always with other owners who want to race. At least once a journey some eejit wants to show me how fast they can go. Audi drivers seem to be the worst offenders and on max speed limit roads for some very strange reason huge SUV's. WTF is that all about?
Tony H and martinwood333 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page