GT86 Engine failure 200 miles post recall - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 12:52 Thread Starter

Angry GT86 Engine failure 200 miles post recall

Hi All,

Had my spring recall done a few months ago, but due to the recent pandemic, had not driven the car other than to charge the battery.

Few days ago, my engine started knocking, so had it towed to the garage that done the recall. They asked for my authorisation to strip the engine down with a suspect bottom end failure. They have said that if they find the cause to be related to silicone/recall, then its covered, else I will need to basically pay for the strip down and any corrective work that may be needed. Or I can have them reassemble and take it elsewhere, but will still be charged for the dismantel and putting it back together.

I concerned my reservations around them just simply lying and saying it was not their fault. Asked to have it taken to an independant garage such as Fensport, but i was refused this as it would invalidate the warranty of the recall. So basically I have to trust them to be honest of their findings.

I should hear back today, but expecting them to say the cause was not their fault and be lumped with an expensive bill regardless if i have it fixed or not.

Anyone had any experience of words of wisdom regarding this situation? Car has 73k miles, was faultless up until after the recall. I dont believe this to be a coincidence.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 14:19
Expert

Garage
You are not the only person to have suffered problems post recall, and it seems to have been quite a widely reported issues (albeit more with cars in the US than in the UK). And the problem is almost invariably bottom end bearing failure as a result of sealant debris blocking the oil pickup after the engine has been resealed improperly. If it's been only 200 miles since the recall, and you have the same failure, then I hope that they really wouldn't be able to point the finger at anything else - the failures are usually within a couple of thousand miles.

How were you driving when the knocking started? Did it start when driving normally, was the engine warm, etc? Is the engine otherwise generally well looked after?

I had my recall done a couple of weeks ago. Before booking, I had a chat with the service manager and luckily, he not only knew about the issues suffered from recalls, but said they had done between 10-20 so far with no problems. That put my mind at ease a bit, but I have to confess, I reset the trip computer the moment I picked it up, and have been keeping an ear out for knocking noises. I've done about 550 miles so far, I don't think I'll be able to rest easy until I have a couple of thousand under my belt.

If I were you, I'd maybe start finding out details of as many other owners who've suffered post-recall failures as you can. It will be easier to fight your case if you can demonstrate that this is a much wider issue.

Good luck!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 14:49 Thread Starter

Ive seen and read many reports of this. Some lucky and it gets sorted and others not so lucky! Seems to be dealer lottery to be honest!

I was just going for a 10 mile charge drive and car was warm when the knocking began, i drive like miss daisy most the time due to the car being quite low. I drive with mechanical sympathy. Funnily enough the garage i took mine to were aware of post recall issues, and said they had done 50 odd with no issue....Guess there is always a first!

Dont want to put any doubt in your mind, as it ruins driving the car. I am eagerly waiting their call. The service manager seems like a nice and reasonable man, so with any luck, they can see my car has not been abused, and as its so short after recall works that its not simply a coincidence.

My post is to find more people with similar issues and best route for recourse. Best of luck with yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 15:16
Expert

Garage
Hopefully the fact that you spoke to the service manager beforehand will work in your favour then - gives them less recourse to wash their hands of it by denying any knowledge of what has been quite a widely reported problem.
What dealer was it, out of interest? (only if you don't mind sharing, I can understand if you don't want to give too much detail yet).

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 5th January 2021, 22:38
Expert

Garage
Next steps really depends if the stealer tries to get cute about it but after 200 miles it's obvious they've botched the job. Peeps have had some success with signed-for letters to Toyota UK HQ and/or a 'letter before action' to the dealer.

Had the service book been kept up to date before the recall to show it had had the recommended services at the correct mileages? That will help your case if needed. Also have you had engine mods done? If the dealer claims it's been ragged, ask to be shown the ECU logs which record when it was revved out.
martinwood333 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 6th January 2021, 11:24 Thread Starter

Was a Steven Eagell. Wont put location yet,will give them time to assess the car.

I got the car second hand, service history looks complete to me.

Should here more by Thursday. They are currently stripping the car down.

Was not aware about the ECU logging the car being ragged. Good to know, because theyll see its been driven well within any limits by myself post recall. No engine mods other than an after market carbon box and filter. I read the recall work notes and it says:

Nearly all aftermarket modifications can be worked around or removed to allow valve spring replacement to proceed.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 6th January 2021, 13:06
Expert

Garage
Yeah I wouldn't worry about modifications. As long as they knew about them before the recall, they would have worked around them.
My car was modified (albeit the only physical mod was a different manifold), but I'm sur even owners with turbos, superchargers, etc have had recalls done with little issue.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th January 2021, 16:50 Thread Starter

Update on this: No blockages found, however a bearing had spun and failed. Cant prove either way if its was a blockage or just had a hard life up until my purchase.

5.1k was the bill for short block replacement and labour. Managed to get 2k knocked off after speaking to the decent Service manager and Toyota UK. Not the best outcome, but not has bad as it could of been.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th January 2021, 18:08
Expert

Garage
:-/

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th January 2021, 18:47

No strainer blockage according to who?
The garage that did it?

Hmm.

An old silver Toyota. Valenti rear lights, Milltek cat back, Tein Flex Z coilovers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page