Garage possibly messed up part installation - need proof - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By Matthias Sammer
  • 1 Post By BRZ
  • 2 Post By Matthias Sammer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 18:54 Thread Starter

Garage possibly messed up part installation - need proof

I had my 2012 GT86 serviced +MOT in August at nearest Toyota dealership. They advised lipped discs + pads wearing thin all round and NSR wheel bearing needing replacement soon (I had noticed a noise).

I ordered all the parts (OEM from another Toyota dealer who had sale on, recommended by another GT86 owner), and booked to have the work done by my local indy (garage 1) in Winchester. This was done mid October. All seemed fine other I didn't notice a noise reduction - but I assumed everything was replaced ok (as all correctly stated on invoice).

Cue two weeks ago when I started hearing a small noise coming from OSR wheel, almost like nail/screw had gone in. I didn't drive for a few days due to lockdown and tyre didn't seem flat, so I thought maybe a stone was stuck or something. I had to drive 35 miles to my parents (my social bubble) to pick up some meds last weekend. On that journey, the noise got worse and worse to the point I started panicking and gingerly made it to theirs Saturday night. First thing Sunday morning, I drove it slowly to the nearest garage open, which was a Kwik Fit 2 miles away. They lifted the car up and checked the wheels in front of me. It was obvious the OSR wheel was "wobbling" sideways a lot; the others were fine. They recommended the wheel bearing to be replaced urgently - I thought fair enough, if one side was on its way out, then it's to be expected the other side would too. I drove the car back to my parents and left it there, taking a family car back to Winchester and ordered a new wheel bearing from the same dealer. I had the car booked in today to have the work done at an indy (garge 2) my family use near their house.

When I picked up the car today, garage 2 stated on the invoice that they recommend NSR wheel bearing should be replaced. I was confused and told them it was replaced a month ago. They said it wasn't possible because it looked old. I then asked them how the OSR wheel bearing they replaced looked like - they said it looked new, but had been improperly installed, hence the wheel was wobbling. They said they didn't think it could be reused anymore as a result, and that garage 1 had done a shoddy job. See photos below of OSR wheel bearing garage 2 removed today, which I kept. On my way back to WInchester tonight, the horrible wheel noise is gone, which leads me to believe garage 2 have done the job ok.

In summary, if garage 2 is to be trusted, garage 1 not only replaced the wrong side of wheel bearing + did it unsafely/incorrectly, leading it to fail!

I am going to go to garage 1 Monday morning to see what they say about the above.

Questions before I go:
- From the photos below, does this removed wheel baering look new, as you would expect it to be 4 weeks use (800 miles maybe) or from any serial number inscribed on the part, as opposed to being several years old??
- Is there any way of proving that the removed wheel bearing is faulty and unusable now, as I can't tell personally? (If not, I would want garage 1 to order a new NSR wheel bearing and install it at their cost again). If they challenge it, could I get my Toyota dealership to inspect it?
- Can i assume that I can prove garage 1 replaced the incorrect wheel bearing if I ask them to remove the NSR wheel bearing to show it to me and it looks rusted or batterred i.e. years old (because it was never replaed in the first place and probably several years old)?
- Anything else I can check to confirm my assumptions garage 1 got it wrong?

Also, I should say, garage 1 knocked out one of my ABS sensors when they had my car in October, but ordered a new one and replaced it the week after. I wonder if that is related at all...? I have no paperwork for this, as I obviously didn't pay for anything.

Edit: just playing devil's advocate. What if garage 2 is lying and there is nothing wrong with NSR bearing, and they just told me that (without any inspection) to generate more work for themselves (they didn't know about the work to NSR bearing the month before)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201120_171414.jpg (231.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201120_171505.jpg (214.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201120_171429.jpg (195.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201120_171420.jpg (204.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Matthias Sammer; 20th November 2020 at 20:30. Reason: Curveball
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 19:57
Groupie

Yes it looks new, however im not sure you are going to be able to prove anything now another garage has touched it. You might have got a result if you had had it taken back to the garage your saying did a bad job to inspect without interfering. However now its a finger pointing exercise as they will like just say the part you provided was faulty.

You can try your luck if they are nice they might offer good will, however I feel that you will get nothing. I just would never go back.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 20:00 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
Yes it looks new, however im not sure you are going to be able to prove anything now another garage has touched it. You might have got a result if you had had it taken back to the garage your saying did a bad job to inspect without interfering. However now its a finger pointing exercise as they will like just say the part you provided was faulty.

You can try your luck if they are nice they might offer good will, however I feel that you will get nothing. I just would never go back.
I could argue Kwik Fit and garage 2 agreed with the fault, but fair point.

But installing it on the wrong side could still be proved, which would be at least something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st November 2020, 11:44
Expert

Garage
I wondered if you were a member here as well
Already answered this on your OcUK thread, but I'll copy my response here too, just in case it's useful for anyone else who finds this thread in 10 years time when looking for wheel bearing advice:

To answer your questions as best I can:
1. Yes, that bearing definitely looks new. It looks exactly like the ones I just replaced, only with, as you say, a few hundred miles of muck on them. But if they were the original bearings, they would definitely have a lot more wear and tear on them (surface corrosion on the body).
2. It should be fairly easy to tell if the bearing is good or bad, just by holding it in your hand and turning it. It should feel smooth and there should be absolutely no play in it whatsoever. If the bearing was so bad that it was causing the wheel to wobble, then you'd know straight away. If the bearing still feels pretty good, then it would point to incorrect installation maybe (disclaimer: if they had to remove the bearing by force, this might not apply - my bearings took such a hammering to remove, that by the time they were out, they had basically fallen apart. With that bearing being so new though, hopefully garage 2 were able to remove it with little hassle).
3. If you took a look at the NSR bearing, it would be immediately obvious if it was still original. That mounting plate (where the four holes are for the bolts) would be rusty as opposed to the greyish finish of the new bearing in your pictures.
4. You could maybe check the axle nut which secures the driveshaft into the hub. Did you buy a new axle nut to supply garage 1 with, alongside the new bearing? It's not mandatory, but they should be replaced, really. If it hasn't been replaced, that too would be obvious - the nut will be quite heavily corroded, as opposed to the nice shiny new nut in your pictures.
5. The wheel speed sensor does need to be removed first in order to remove the bearing.

One thing i have noticed....the 32mm nut in the pictures...is that the one that came off with the incorrectly fitted bearing? If so, then it certainly looks like it has not been fitted correctly.
When replacing the bearing, the new axle nut should be tightened up once the new bearing is in place (to 190Nm), to secure the driveshaft. The nut should then be "staked" - that is, you take a flat screwdriver, place it on the outer edge of the nut, and then hammer it so it bends into a recess on the end of the driveshaft (see video below). This should prevent the axle nut from undoing itself.

Could you show us a close up pic of the nut to confirm? If that has not been done, then it might point to evidence of a shoddy installation - and indeed, if they didn't torque it up properly AND they also didn't stake it, then perhaps it came loose enough to cause the driveshaft to move. I'm not sure this would have caused wobbling, but I'd certainly expect it to be noisy and dangerous.

With all that said - replacing the bearing isn't exactly a hard job. See the video below - it's undo the axle nut, remove the wheel speed sensor, undo the 4 bolts holding the bearing in, then remove the bearing. Then you just need to clean up the mating surfaces, apply some grease, and refit it all, making sure to pass the driveshaft back through the bearing splines. If the wheel bearing was wobbling, I can only assume the retaining bolts weren't properly reinstalled or something.

I managed to do this all on my driveway, and although getting the bearing out of the knuckle was a chore (this guy obviously lives somewhere with no salty winter roads ), the procedure itself isn't difficult. So a bit worrying that a proper garage couldn't manage it. But yeah, it does certainly seem like garage 1 put the new bearing on the OSR when it should have been destined for the NSR.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th November 2020, 12:34 Thread Starter

Update:

Phoned garage 1 on Monday, giving them a brief reason I wanted to bring the car in, and did so yesterday morning. I explained in more detail to the manager there. He took the car to the back where I couldn't see. I told him I'd like to see the bearing assembly, but he said the garage didn't have the time to take it all apart and together again right now, as it would take a couple of hours (I know that's too long but fair enough, they did have other cars waiting.) So all he allowed was let me see that there was no sideways play in the wheel itself. I wasn't happy with just that and said I definitely wanted see the bearing assembly. I said that if I was wrong, then I'd happily pay for the wasted labour cost of taking the wheel off. The manager said he could only book the car in for that next week, which I accepted.

I still left annoyed at not having a resolution straightaway, and decided to get another opinion, so took it to Kwik Fit not far away.

The manager there kindly (and for free) lifted the car up, and we both inspected the the wheels from under the car. He showed me the bearing assembly's bolt heads from behind both rear wheels. The OSR bolt head had fresh scratch marks, consistent with having been worked on recently. The NSR bolt heads had no marks, suggesting it hasn't been touched in years. He also explained and showed me how to check if the bearing was fine or not: he asked me to put my finger on the shock springs whist he spun the wheels. The OSR spring didn't move at all, suggesting no issues with bearings. The NSR spring had some vibration in it, suggesting problem with bearings. In summary, he concluded that garage 2 was right - the NSR bearing hub hadn't been replaced recently. He said he deosn't recommend taking the wheel/pads/discs off to expose the assembly, as there would be evidence of "tamper" which garage 1 could use in their favour.

So, now I wait till next week!

I am wondering whether I should email garage 1 before I go in, just to make sure what I am expecting i.e. if I'm wrong I'll pay labour, but if they're wrong and screwed it up, I expect a brand new Toyota bearing assembly+nut installed at their cost. I will also want to see the work being done. What do you guys think?

(I will give them a chance to make good, but not going there anymore.)

Edit - by coincidence, the manager just phoned me and told me he spoke to the technician who did the work and they concluded they installed it on the wrong side. Result! He is going to phone garage 2 directly to find out about the what they found wrong.

Edit 2 - manager of garage 1 has phoned again to apologise and admitted they got it wrong. They offered to refund me cost of parts+1h labour, or undertake the replacement at their cost. I decided to be kind and accept the latter, as they admitted to it.

Last edited by Matthias Sammer; 25th November 2020 at 14:07.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th November 2020, 16:10
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Mistakes happen. Its what you do after that is more important. Its lovely to hear they owned up to it and will fix it or refund.
martinwood333 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th November 2020, 16:42
Groupie

Amazing result!!! Nice to see there are the good ones still out there!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th November 2020, 18:16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ View Post
Mistakes happen. Its what you do after that is more important. Its lovely to hear they owned up to it and will fix it or refund.
Indeed; I was prepared to go in for a fight, leave then negative reviews, and tell my local friends about, but them owning up changes things.

Of course, I await the replacement to be done, but fingers crossed, no further issues now, and it restores my confidence in them.
Kaviar and martinwood333 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page