GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

2nd gen BRZ launching on weds 18/12

10K views 73 replies 18 participants last post by  MovesWithClouds 
#1 ·
Looking forward to the big reveal. Three questions remain in my head , engine, power / torque and chassis as there have been many rumours.

Anyone else enthusiastic? Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Font Personal luxury car

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
That's where Toyota comes into the partnership. With such strict emission rules , only Toyota can meet the fleet target of 95g/km across its range and not Subaru which still is fossil fuel driven [emoji6]

The question is when and I think with Yaris GR, it is deliberate that Toyota are delaying their launch of GT

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I've been impatiently waiting for this. I know the BRZ isn't coming to Europe but I highly expect the GR/GT86 will.

As much as I like the GR Yaris, the interior is hideous and I don't know if there will be any sense of occasion when driving normally, will it just be the case of driving a regular Yaris with a low roofline. Holding onto my money for the 86 at the minute.

#11 ·
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the GR only shares the lights, wing mirrors and aerials with the regular Yaris. In effect it is a totally different car. Have you seen the reviews? It's just bonkers, the press are loving it, loads have been ordered off the press reviews.

I hope the GR86 is fab too. I do have a GR Yaris about to land any day now.

Reactions: martinwood333
#16 ·
Let me swing it another way. If I was to pop to the shops in our Ford Focus there is nothing special or noteworthy about it. If I go in the 86 there is that sense of occasion, its totally different, you sit low the car, the gearbox feels rifle bolt like, you can see the corners of the car and place it where you want it, it gives you good feedback, it doesn’t roll around the corner. This is all happening at '2/10ths'. My question is are you going to feel the same way in a GR Yaris at '2/10ths' or are you going to feel like it’s an ordinary Yaris…

I've been following the car for a while so I'm fully aware its a thoroughbred WRC car for the road and the press love it, but they are hacking around fantastic roads or on track whilst hammering it at '10/10ths'. Whilst that is awesome fun I think its the reason why people get bored of cars quickly/

Not bashing the Yaris, I am a fan, it's just a genuine thought.

#38 ·
Entirely agree. The Yaris GR is going to be brilliant, I've no doubt, and I'm sure it's absolutely cracking fun. But hot hatches don't really do it for me. The GT86, despite being objectively worse than the Yaris (or most hot hatches) in terms of performance, just interests me more. Can't see myself looking back at even a Yaris GR everytime I park it and get out.

As for the new BRZ, I'm not convinced at the moment. Engine upgrades look good (it sounds better too, from some of the footage), but it's not really wowing me in terms of looks. Glad they're sticking with the formula though.

Is a GT86 definitely confirmed? I know we think they aren't announcing anything while the Yaris is in the limelight, but it occurs to me that I haven't even heard anything about them being involved with this development at all this time round. No point worrying about the BRZ at all if it's not coming to Europe, but if a new GT86 is in the works maybe Toyota might style it differently.

#20 ·
Like I just said on FB, I doubt Joe Public would notice any difference between the 2017 GT86 and this. If I saw the one in those photos, I'd think, 'oh, GT86 with TRD-style spoiler and a bit of a body kit behind the front arches' (if I noticed the outlets at all at a glance).

So, take it or leave it.

But what's under the bonnet? & on the wheels?

#25 ·
2900 lbs, that's 1315 kg cf 1240 for the previous (current) model), so there's 6% of your 15% torque increase used up to no advantage (unless the torque dip is gone, let's wait for the graphs).
Some of that comes from the unwanted "Eyesight", I guess, although I must admit adaptive cruise control could be handy on the M25 provided it allows you to follow close enough to deter undertakers (unlikely).

#26 ·
In one of the videos it cycles through the dash, the power and torque curve are on there and there doesn't seem to be a visible dip. Where did you get 2900lbs from? I've read between 2835lbs which puts its more inline with the current car, apparently to compensate for extra weight of the engine the wings, roof and bonnet are aluminum.

Interior is a big no from me, looks like it belongs in a pick up truck or some sort of budget land rover. Exterior is a grower, I will be interested to see Toyotas take on the cosmetics, Subaru are a bit more conservative. Currently looks like the love child of a Lexus RCF and Porsche Cayman.

#27 ·
Some details from their press launchthe 2022 model year, the BRZ features more power, better handling, improved styling, a 50-percent increase in torsional stiffness and a modern interior. A pure sports car with Subaru DNA.

Running counter to the current trend of power over precision, the 2022 Subaru BRZ focuses on simplicity and fun. Designed to deliver an unmatched driving experience, the all-new BRZ features a new and more powerful 228 horsepower 2.4-liter horizontally opposed engine. Sitting low in the chassis, the Subaru BOXER’s unique design allows the BRZ to achieve a Center of Gravity (CoG) even lower than the previous BRZ and on par with exotic hyper-cars. The ultra-low CoG is critical to delivering unrivaled handling, with a low polar moment and quick reaction to driver inputs. The 2.4-liter naturally aspirated engine redlines at 7,000 RPM and delivers a 15-percent increase in torque. The 2022 BRZ will be offered in both Premium and Limited trims and is available with two transmission choices; a standard six-speed manual or an available six-speed automatic with a new Sport mode designed for more aggressive driving. The new Sport mode allows for more rapid downshifts with automatic throttle blipping and utilizes yaw sensors to hold the transmission in a lower gear during hard cornering to maximize performance.

#37 ·
#30 ·
I will patiently update this post later but in Summary:

1. Bigger engine ( 2.4L Boxer NA), more power more torque (228 HP, 250NM/184 LbFt)
2. Short shifter in manual and faster downshifts in Auto Box.
3. Lower ground clearance than existing model
4. Increased length (1.2 inch / 3cm), decreased height (-0.1cm/-0.04 inch) compared to existing BRZ with longer wheelbase ( 0.05cm/0.02 inch).
5. 18 inch wheels on top trim (215/40 R18) with PS4 tyres. This adds additional ~9 Kg to weight of car.
6. Not just the bonnet is Aluminium, the front fenders and roof are too to save weight.
7. Side Vents (functional)
8. Upturned Ducktail rear spoiler
9. Android Auto, Apple Car play with a bigger infotainment screen ( 8 inches)
10. Subaru Eye Sight safety and Radar cruise control for automatic models
11. 50% more rigid chassis with spot welds.
12. Fully digital dash
13. No torque dip presumably
14. Better brakes (Further details unavailable)

#41 ·
I love that there still is high redline of ~ 7.5K judging by dash markings and weight hasn't grown that much and manual handbrake still kept around. Design of interior seems a bit meh.
Still, may bits seems there, so new one seems still fine car .. IF they will manage to keep price from spiking too much. After all, main idea of earlier twins was like that of AE86, "good enough car for cheap". Pushing it too high upmarket would make it to compete with more cars and less people will be able to afford it then.
Not sure it was good decision going for much grippier PS4 though. Reducing a bit "tailhappy at legal speeds".

#45 ·
What I liked about the 1st gen 86 over the first gen BRZ was the "angry look". Pincered bumper and elongated lights, giving it a frown at the front. I like a sports car to give "intent" when you look at it. I hope the GR86 will bring back some of that "intent" to the bumper design. I love the front of the latest Corolla for that very reason. Pincer look and plenty of "intent". So, some Toyota models, including the C-HR if you look closely, still have that pincer look at the front. I am therefore hopeful that the GR86 may not look as "rounded" at the front as the Subaru twin. I don't mind the back end at all.

The below combo of narrowing lights and pincer bumper looks angry to me

I also seem to remember that when the 1st gen was launched, there was not much in the way of comparisons with other cars in the looks department? This time there is a lot of comparison with Vauxhall, Hyundai, Porsche, Aston etc around the forums. I must admit when I first saw the front I thought of the Hyundai Coupe. Although the BRZ is to me better looking than that, the lights on the new model don't do it for me like the older models do.

As for the interior and mechanical upgrades, they sound good, especially the tyre choice on 18s. However, for me, the reason I bought a GT86 was that I wanted a "looker", and the 1st gen still satisfies that want, even after 7 years.

Reactions: martinwood333
#60 ·
Think "ducktail" and you will feel fine?

#57 ·
peak torque at much lower rpm

What’s everybody’s thoughts on the new cars torque distribution? Do you think it will make it less exciting to drive at 9 or 10/10ths as there will be no massive desire to rev it to the redline?

I’m thinking of holding off getting a GT86 as it might be worth hanging on for the GR but now I’m not so sure!

Thoughts came from this Aussie article:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2021-subaru-brz-revealed

#58 · (Edited)
Hey chaps/chapesses,

I stumbled across this article earlier, while looking up something else, and noticed mention of a turbo. I hadn’t noticed this in your discussions on this thread so thought I’d drop it in. It’s not a recent article (May), so hopefully it might still be accurate (as much as they can be).

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/86/2021/future-cars-toyota-86/

Richard

#61 ·
The speculations of using the Ascents turbocharged engine have been flying around the internet since the second generation was first confirmed. I'm 100% sure it remains just that, its a speculation, untrue. The Ascents engine is totally wrong for the car, its been designed for a 4x4 not a sports car. We will get the NA version, which hopefully should hit the sweet spot.

#59 ·
It is true that one delight of the present car is the way the power keeps coming as you go up the revs, but I, at least, haven't yet seen a torque curve for the new engine.

Having said that, on the roads in southern England, I hardly ever have the opportunity or desire to rev the engine out, and when I do it's mostly more 'go' I'm after rather than a satisfying experience, so more power and torque at my current revs will be more to the point.

Also, I've found the present torque dip quite unpleasant when pushing on on the road, where I've enough on my hands monitoring varying grip levels across roundabouts without having to worry about the torque going and coming back with a vengeance as the revs change without me moving my right foot.

So overall, provided the curves don't look awful as on the turbo'd Subaru Ascent (see pic below), I'll probably be happy with the new engine, especially as I suspect Toyota will insist on a good feel.

#64 ·
Another thought, if the engine and car are heavier, does this mean weight distribution is more front biased? That would make the car more inherently prone to understeer. But any effect is likely to be small and could be dialled out, I guess.

The engine does sit lower, apparently, so maybe they moved it back too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.