2nd gen BRZ launching on weds 18/12 - Page 5 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 03:43
Expert

I love that there still is high redline of ~ 7.5K judging by dash markings and weight hasn't grown that much and manual handbrake still kept around. Design of interior seems a bit meh.
Still, may bits seems there, so new one seems still fine car .. IF they will manage to keep price from spiking too much. After all, main idea of earlier twins was like that of AE86, "good enough car for cheap". Pushing it too high upmarket would make it to compete with more cars and less people will be able to afford it then.
Not sure it was good decision going for much grippier PS4 though. Reducing a bit "tailhappy at legal speeds".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 08:50 Thread Starter
BRZ
GT86 Senior

@mods any chance to move the general feature update i have captured over previous model to first page/first post as i am unable to edit first post.
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 09:31
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
Not sure it was good decision going for much grippier PS4 though. Reducing a bit "tailhappy at legal speeds".
Agreed, but are the PS4s fitted to both models, or just the one with the 18" wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 10:06 Thread Starter
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
Agreed, but are the PS4s fitted to both models, or just the one with the 18" wheels?
Not sure if its both models
@church: the tyre width is still 215 even on 18's and the higher torque will neutralise the grip, so the way i see it is that , the balance of being tail happy will still be true.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 10:36
Expert

Garage
What I liked about the 1st gen 86 over the first gen BRZ was the "angry look". Pincered bumper and elongated lights, giving it a frown at the front. I like a sports car to give "intent" when you look at it. I hope the GR86 will bring back some of that "intent" to the bumper design. I love the front of the latest Corolla for that very reason. Pincer look and plenty of "intent". So, some Toyota models, including the C-HR if you look closely, still have that pincer look at the front. I am therefore hopeful that the GR86 may not look as "rounded" at the front as the Subaru twin. I don't mind the back end at all.

The below combo of narrowing lights and pincer bumper looks angry to me

I also seem to remember that when the 1st gen was launched, there was not much in the way of comparisons with other cars in the looks department? This time there is a lot of comparison with Vauxhall, Hyundai, Porsche, Aston etc around the forums. I must admit when I first saw the front I thought of the Hyundai Coupe. Although the BRZ is to me better looking than that, the lights on the new model don't do it for me like the older models do.

As for the interior and mechanical upgrades, they sound good, especially the tyre choice on 18s. However, for me, the reason I bought a GT86 was that I wanted a "looker", and the 1st gen still satisfies that want, even after 7 years.
martinwood333 likes this.

Black GT86 owned 7+ years and modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map. Also, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler, shark fin, Intec brake light, Valentis.
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ View Post
A GR86 is definite. I had seen leaked Toyota classified presentations mentioning it.
The 2.4 engine in it uses Toyota D4S only for this model. In the Ascent its just DI (and turbo). If current models are to go by , the front bumper will probably be the only styling change Toyota will make.
I'd prefer they change the rear rather than the front. Insignia, NSX or Aston whichever you will, it's just plain iffy.

As an aside the Vauxhall Insignia atomic alloys are for me the coolest design on any production car! I'm pretty sure they'd suit the 86...
Tony H likes this.
post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 16:59 Thread Starter
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feemono View Post
As an aside the Vauxhall Insignia atomic alloys are for me the coolest design on any production car! I'm pretty sure they'd suit the 86...
I had to google it up. They are nice. My best are the Clover Leaf alloys that Alfa's use. I wish there was a way to fit it on GT , even if it was aftermarket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/33371464886...RoC_wUQAvD_BwE
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 17:08
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ View Post
Not sure if its both models
@church: the tyre width is still 215 even on 18's and the higher torque will neutralise the grip, so the way i see it is that , the balance of being tail happy will still be true.

Tyre width pays lesser role then some may think. It's more important for ones fitting wider tires for looks or wider tires to workaround auto-x class rules. Tire model/rubber compound is much more important grip wise. And even 215 ps4 makes car grip much more, way less "tire chirp here and there" when taking turns quicker or flooring more often, more like gripping everywhere, unless one intentionally pushes over limit (now higher. well, i may slightly overexagerate, but it certainly is when one pushes more, closer to less wise speeds for DD or extent of pushing).
I get my share of fun on track, i don't miss that much grip absence on public roads at low speeds .. but i guess some may miss it. I've seen also threads "advise tire with grip level like that of primacies".
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 22:01
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
i don't miss that much grip absence on public roads at low speeds .. but i guess some may miss it. I've seen also threads "advise tire with grip level like that of primacies".
Too right. I'd trade grip for progressiveness and predictability any day.
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2020, 13:17 Thread Starter
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
The wheels are like a cheaper cast copy of the forged BBS wheels fitted to the GR Yaris which has PS4S tyres.
Heard on a video just now that the wheels are the same as used on GR Yaris. With a GR 86 coming soon, why not reuse and create economies of scale. So not a cast copy, afaik

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page