Buying unseen... - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 08:38 Thread Starter

Buying unseen...

Hello guys,

Looking for a general gist from the forum.

I'm currently (a Brit) in the US but will soon be relocating back to the UK. I need cars, and No.1 for my daily is the GT86.

I have the option to reserve a decent 2013 model, 59k miles, half leather, heated and FSH. If I put down £200, it's mine however if I change my mind I lose it so want to be sure. What should I be asking to ensure I can take the car with minimal worry? I'll arrive in the UK with no vehicles but will technically be in quarantine for 2 weeks due to arrival fro. The US. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 11:36
Expert

You cannot be sure, it is a calculated risk. You can reduce the risk by asking for more information, for instance by checking the service history. Maybe you can ask to hear for video with it starting up so you know the engine works

Moves With Rowds
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 16:27
BRZ
GT86 Senior

I dont think its the best of ideas , unless you know the seller personally. It is not hard to find these cars, so you can come and take your pick.

Any specific reasons for the urgency as from the described specs, it does not seem very limited / rare

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:24
Expert

I'd mostly check if valve spring recall had already be done. And if it hasn't left some not to your taste mods. After that testdrive & deciding if risks worth the cost.
If car is in good state, not too mod-bastardized, and fits good enough for your driving patterns (with some patterns cons might be felt more and pros not able to be enjoyed, making twin in general not best choice), one will miss little versus newer twins. If only, generic wear level of suspension bushings & shocks, as it's already 7y.o. car.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 31st October 2020, 18:42 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. To clarify a couple of things:

The car is reported as having full Toyota Service history (6 stamps)
The valve spring recall has been carried out
Car is un-modded (so far as I can tell)

The spec is not hugely unique - black, half leather heated seats. It does look tidy and is only half an hour from where I'm moving to - certainly a consideration with the fact I won't have any of my own transport and with lockdowns looming..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 31st October 2020, 19:52
Expert

Garage
I would check the spark plugs were changed during the recall as that's a 60K service item.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 1st November 2020, 21:45

If you're some distance, see whether you can arrange an AA inspection. Did that for mine purchased recently from a distance and it's sufficiently detailed as to catch most issues that you might face. Car's been great so far.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 15:40
Groupie

Garage
Is it a private seller or from Toyota?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2020, 07:02 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
I would check the spark plugs were changed during the recall as that's a 60K service item.
Thanks - one of the questions I had concerns what other work may be on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
If you're some distance, see whether you can arrange an AA inspection. Did that for mine purchased recently from a distance and it's sufficiently detailed as to catch most issues that you might face. Car's been great so far.
That's definitely a good option I think. It would give me a bit of peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedbean View Post
Is it a private seller or from Toyota?
It is a dealer - an independent though not Toyota.

Given the new lockdown restrictions about to take place I may just hold off for the moment - I'm still assuming I can get back into the country OK but you never know...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 22:04 Thread Starter

A little update..

I have successfully moved from the US back to the UK - now almost a week into quarantine. The car I was interested in is still available. Can't effectively be sold until 3rd Dec with the current restrictions but I'm getting closer to making a deal.

I'm going to call the garage who did the recall and last service to enquire about the spark plugs. If the need to be changed at next service, what's the going rate?

I'm also going to go for an AA inspection for peace of mind - is the full inspection worth it over the basic, and will they look at model-specific items if pointed in the right direction (condensation in the light cluster, for example)?

Cheers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page