Jdm gt86 kph/ mph? - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 03:20 Thread Starter

Jdm gt86 kph/ mph?

Hello people I'm a newbie here and also very new to the Toyota GT86.

I have currently purchased a 2019 Japanese Import model GT86.

The car is spot on but what I would like to do is convert my speedometer clock from KPH to MPH.

I did speak to someone from one of tuning companies listed here but can't seem to remember who it was I had spoken to lol.

Basically he was telling me that on the JDM pre-facelift GT86 you can simply get the UK clock and transfer them over but with mine being a facelift he wasn't too sure if it still would work as he's never tried.

After this conversation I had a look at my clocks and it looks like the JDM facelift GT86 still share the pre-facelift clocks.

Can anyone direct my to the people that can help me get this sorted please.

Picture of my clock attached below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20201024-WA0010.jpg (141.0 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 11:50

That looks like the basic, UK Primo spec dials
Tony H likes this.

A current MX5 owner, but someday will get a TRD 14R, parts stock piling in progress!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 14:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCaln View Post
That looks like the basic, UK Primo spec dials
Primo spec?

The only difference i see with the UK clock is that it also has the digital speedometer just above the trip meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:15
Expert

JDM had one very basic trim, sold for ones intending to mod. Steelies for wheels, cloth seats, unpainted bumpers, and very probably also basic speedo/AC. And i'm not completely sure, maybe even open diff instead of torsen LSD in all the rest trim levels. More Primo then UK Primo , if this car happens to be of such trim level in past.
As for just instrument dash backing plate with more useful for UK miles markings, i guess slight changes in ECU tune might be beneficial too, eg. to compute right fuel mileage in miles/gallons and temps in F.
Gt86-JDM likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:18
BRZ
GT86 Senior

So this is my pre face-lift BRZ dial. So you are right they are very similar and yours does not have digital speedo , as you point out. It also does not have dual MPH and KMPH on the analog speedo. Does it have the 3 buttons to the right as in my picture. That's where you can switch from MPH to KMPH and vice versa.
@tweedbean changed his pre face-lift to a post face-lift UK one which is quite good with a lot of digital readings like oil temp, torque, power graph etc. You could buy his old one, if he has it for sale or buy a face-lift one and install yourself. He has done a lovely video, so search for his build on the forum. Worth checking again as yours is automatic, so might need to get that one specifically as instead of 1 to 6, it should show P,D,R,N.

Alternately, go to your importer and ask them to do it as JDM imported cars have to have lot of work done like underbody sealing , installation of a rear fog light etc to pass MOT and also KMPH to MPH conversion should've been done by them.

Very curious as to why you bought an imported model when we have enough options and stock locally. Was it a lot cheaper?20201030_150600.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Gt86-JDM likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:32
Expert

BRZ: three buttons will let switch kph/mph only in cars that had dual-marked analog speedo aswell for markets that may had required that. My gt86 is very top trim of generic EUDM LHD type .. and from those three buttons one to switch is just unpressable button-shaped cover to cover hole. Speed analog marked dash plate has both kph(bigger) and mph values though. Technically one should be able to retrofit instrument dash from some local totaled twin partout (a bit hassle to reprogram in it mileage from old, and add steering wheel controls analog, if it's retrofitting MY2017 cluster in older twins), but imho costs of this mod if it's not just basic backing plate with markings switch are not justified and i'd probably would drive car with whatever instruments car has.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:32 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ View Post
So this is my pre face-lift BRZ dial. So you are right they are very similar and yours does not have digital speedo , as you point out. It also does not have dual MPH and KMPH on the analog speedo. Does it have the 3 buttons to the right as in my picture. That's where you can switch from MPH to KMPH and vice versa.
@tweedbean changed his pre face-lift to a post face-lift UK one which is quite good with a lot of digital readings like oil temp, torque, power graph etc. You could buy his old one, if he has it for sale or buy a face-lift one and install yourself. He has done a lovely video, so search for his build on the forum. Worth checking again as yours is automatic, so might need to get that one specifically as instead of 1 to 6, it should show P,D,R,N.

Alternately, go to your importer and ask them to do it as JDM imported cars have to have lot of work done like underbody sealing , installation of a rear fog light etc to pass MOT and also KMPH to MPH conversion should've been done by them.

Very curious as to why you bought an imported model when we have enough options and stock locally. Was it a lot cheaper?Attachment 5239

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I have purchased it from a friend that imports cars and got it at a price that no one would refuse.

To get this to pass the MOT its not needing much as you would think or I would say isn't as challenging.

All this car needs is the clocks showing MPH on the clock (which there are daily available for the conversion) its just that I want the trip metre to also show in miles and not KM.

The rear fog install isnt the hardest to do. And with the headlights having xenon it needs to have washer jets installed which I'm going to have to ask if I was to buy normal halogen type headlights I could install for the time being.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:46

I thought it only needed to have working headlight washer jets if they were there, not that you had to add them

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-1-6

A current MX5 owner, but someday will get a TRD 14R, parts stock piling in progress!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCaln View Post
I thought it only needed to have working headlight washer jets if they were there, not that you had to add them

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-1-6
Nope. All depends if the car comes with xenon headlights or not.

If they don't have xenon then your not needing the washer jets.

Also I cant seem to find Tweedbeans build/ posts. Is he still a member?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 17:52
Expert

About trip meter .. IIRC it should be tunable in ECU tune. Values and calibration adjustment (later needed for eg. different diameter wheels or different ratio final drive, for gear indicator to display right gear (which get's calculated from wheel speed sensors + engine rpms when in gear).
Gt86-JDM likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page