Modification Newbie - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th September 2020, 16:22 Thread Starter

Modification Newbie

Hi all,
After owning a blue edition for 1 year and half I think its time to make it more special.
I have been reading so many articles about adding fensport and tuning developments and just need some advice.
Car is only going to be used on road and won't go on track and its not a daily drive car.

I am sure lot of members have done various modifications.

Is it worth getting anything done considering I am still under my 5 year toyota warranty?

Two obvious options are the 20hp gain or the 80hp turbo option.

What would you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th September 2020, 23:23
BRZ
GT86 Senior

NA mod to start with. If you still can't resist the boost urge , then go turbo / super charged next .

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 00:08
Expert

I'd suggest to do neither but spend on trackdays & track wearables to mod driver bit better while having fun doing that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 01:08
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz2010 View Post
Hi all,
After owning a blue edition for 1 year and half I think its time to make it more special.
I have been reading so many articles about adding fensport and tuning developments and just need some advice.
Car is only going to be used on road and won't go on track and its not a daily drive car.

I am sure lot of members have done various modifications.

Is it worth getting anything done considering I am still under my 5 year toyota warranty?

Two obvious options are the 20hp gain or the 80hp turbo option.

What would you suggest?
Go TD NA and then from there decide if you want to go Turbo. Personally, I'd avoid the turbo whilst the car is so new. The TD manifold + tune, is unlikely to cause any problems but a Turbo puts greater stress on the whole engine.

With the TD NA package for warranty claims you might have a bit of a battle, but it's a winnable argument. But with a Turbo it's instantly going to be denied. Ie warranty is void. As you've taken the engine outside of it's specifications and increased wear.

The TD manifold on the other hand they would have to prove that the manifold was at fault.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 10:58
Expert

What is it you truly want? The reason people modify the car is that they aren't happy with an aspect of it. Since you've not really stated any reason as to what you are after or don't like about the car I don't see the point of modifying it for the sake of it.
spikyone likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 22:18 Thread Starter

Thanks Guys.

I will be honest. One of my friends is getting mustang v8 and I know its hard for gt86 to compete with it.
2 things which kind of annoying me are the interior and mainly the infotainment screen. I am looking at getting that changed by reading another thread.
Other is the sound. Looking at the NA TD package which is about 1500k. Could anyone who has done share some info on what exhaust they went for and how does it sound and if they faced any issues with it ? Also with the 20 bhp increase how does it feel?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 22:47
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz2010 View Post
Thanks Guys.

I will be honest. One of my friends is getting mustang v8 and I know its hard for gt86 to compete with it.
2 things which kind of annoying me are the interior and mainly the infotainment screen. I am looking at getting that changed by reading another thread.
Other is the sound. Looking at the NA TD package which is about 1500k. Could anyone who has done share some info on what exhaust they went for and how does it sound and if they faced any issues with it ? Also with the 20 bhp increase how does it feel?
There are literally 100s of other threads all about the NA pack. Google it... it's sometimes better/easier than using the search here.

"Tuning developments gt86 na pack reviews feedback thoughts"
spikyone likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 11:20

Tuning developments have so many different combinations of exhausts, it can be hard to find exactly the sound you'll get.

They do UEL and EL manifolds, non-res, res and super res mid pipes, and a res or non-res back box.

I went for the UEL, super res midpipe and res axle back. As videos from other users were abit too loud for my taste, and i hate rasp.

Here is a video of my setup, sorry for the bad filming but you get an idea for the tone. No drone etc.

Another positive of going TD is that their turbo kits bolt directly to their manifolds, so you wont need to buy another set of headers if you do decide to go turbo further down the line.

20BHP increase top end isnt going to blow your socks off but with UEL i had 35bhp increase in the midrange where the torque dip used to be, and it made it feel much perkier through out. Never really heard much in terms of anything being unreliable after the install.

Last edited by Beney_86; 23rd September 2020 at 14:10.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 12:47

That's helpful advice. Thanks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 19:50 Thread Starter

Thanks all. That's very useful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page