Warranty and independant garages? - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th September 2020, 16:01 Thread Starter
Groupie

Warranty and independant garages?

Hi, my cars very first service is coming up in November and I don't really want to take it to Toyota. It's £300 for oil + filters... seems rather high. Plus worse parts than the secondary market can offer...

I've got 4 years left on my warranty so I want to keep that intact.
I'm going to a professional garage, will keep receipts for the service + receipts of the oils used (Millers 0w20 + correct subaru oil filter)

Oil:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-O...53.m2749.l2649

Oil Filter:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-O...53.m2749.l2649

Air Filter:Apexi Powerintake filter
https://www.amber-performance.co.uk/...5271&xSec=8425

Do you think that's okay? Toyota can't moan/complain, claim my warranty is invalid. It would be ludicrous to suggest that a professional garage could not change oil/filters.

I'd just rather give my business to a local garage. For it's second service I'll go to Toyota. But truth be told, I'm not keen on their products they want to use on the car. Oil isn't as good as Millers... etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th September 2020, 17:59
Expert

Garage
As long as it's serviced according to schedule and using OEM parts, and the garage provides details of the work carried out, Toyota won't be able to invalidate your warranty, under EU rules.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...warranty-valid

I'm not sure where that leaves you with the air filter, as it's probably equal to the OEM specification, but not actually an OEM part.

That said, I'm not even sure they check. I've been having the car serviced at Abbey Motorsport for the 7 years I've owned it. In the few times I've had to take it in for warranty work, no one even asked about the service history.
James- likes this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th September 2020, 18:36
Expert

Garage
I wouldn't fit non OEM parts when it comes to oils and filters if you want to keep your warranty. OEM oil and filters are perfectly adequate.
James- likes this.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th September 2020, 19:23
Groupie

My experience of warranty claims (not just with Toyota) is that it's always a lot easier if the car has a full main dealer service history.

You may also want to consider the effect on resale value of the car. I wouldn't even look at buying a car without full main dealer service history, especially if the first service was outside the dealer network.
James- likes this.

Philip

2013 GT86 - Burnt Orange
2015 Mazda MX-5 NC3 Sport Tech Nav Roadster Coupé - Jet Black
2008 Lexus IS 250 SE-L - Caspian Sky
2011 BMW E93 335i - Le Mans Blue
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th September 2020, 20:37 Thread Starter
Groupie

I can't imagine they can force me to use Toyota oil. So I think the fact I'm using the correct oil viscosity + correct OEM oil filter. The air filter... I'll just get them to put in the OEM Toyota one I took out and then I'll chuck in my Apexi afterwards.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll still go independent, because one it saves me money. And two I like my local garage, they're good guys and it feels good to support local business. As for not buying a car without full main dealer history, well you're the rarity for it. Because providing everything has been done properly and there is documentation to prove it, where's the issue?

I'll go to Toyota from year 2, but the year 1 service is a bit of a joke. (I've already replaced my oil, at 1k miles and it's only @ 2300 now)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th September 2020, 16:04

If you think the year 1 price of £250 is a joke then your going to love the £395 for year two

As to rarity. I didn't even bother looking at gt86s with out a full Toyota service history. It would be interesting to know how many club members did though
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th September 2020, 19:40
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscript View Post
As long as it's serviced according to schedule and using OEM parts, and the garage provides details of the work carried out, Toyota won't be able to invalidate your warranty, under EU rules.
I wonder that will still apply next year and thereafter, then. May depend on the trade deal.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th September 2020, 01:46 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJay View Post
If you think the year 1 price of £250 is a joke then your going to love the £395 for year two

As to rarity. I didn't even bother looking at gt86s with out a full Toyota service history. It would be interesting to know how many club members did though

It's not a question of money, it's a question of principle.

£395 for a full service, which year 2 is, isn't so bad. I object to paying £250 for them to change oil + a filter.

Oil and Filters could be changed by a monkey. (I can do it... so enough said )

As for not buying with full main dealer, meh, you're in the minority. We're in the minority just for being on this forum. Providing it has been serviced and full records are there, I imagine 90% of the population don't bat an eyelid. Not everyone is a car lover like we obsess over. We are the minority.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th September 2020, 07:34
Groupie

How helpful your local dealer is, seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery sadly. I'm not sure what the dealers are like your way.

That said, so long as you can prove the car was serviced on time and used good quality parts, you should be OK. Just be prepared to push a little if needs be.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th September 2020, 09:09
Super Moderator

And the Indie you use are VAT registered I think is another thing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page