• 1 Post By Andy61
  • 1 Post By Yaz2010
  • 2 Post By gazza82

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st June 2020, 19:18 Thread Starter

Flat Battery

hi guys,
I need some advice.
So my car didn't start. I knew it was the batter due to lockdown. Jump started using battery pack. Drove for 30 mins. Next day it would not start again. So on the weekend I jump started again, drove for 60 mins on motorway no traffic. Then 4 hours later I was able to start the car again and drove for 15 mins.
30 hours later car would not start again
Should I replace the battery. Existing battery is tooytoa 65amp and its 1 year old but I have only driven about 700 miles or so in the last year.
Yuasa battery is 117 from halfords.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st June 2020, 19:40

Sounds like yours is too far gone for a charge-up to save it. The lack of use/miles has killed it. My oldest boy has a 2016 Fiesta ST in the garage which has suffered the same fate through lack of use over the last couple of years.

For a replacement GT86 battery I'm seriously thinking of this, when we are out of these unprecedented times https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yua...5r-14882-p.asp

If you're only doing 700 miles in a year, some form of trickle charger will be necessary I'd have thought
Kaviar likes this.

Last edited by Andy61; 1st June 2020 at 19:42. Reason: additional information
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st June 2020, 21:10
Groupie

Modern lead-acid batteries don't like going totally flat - even one deep discharge can kill them.

If your existing battery is only 1 year old, I'd be talking to Toyota about a warranty replacement before I'd buy one myself.

I replaced my (recently deceased) battery with a Varta from Tayna - £74 delivered and both higher Ah and CCA than the Toyota one - https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e24/

Philip

2013 GT86 - Burnt Orange
2015 Mazda MX-5 NC3 Sport Tech Nav Roadster Coupé - Jet Black
2008 Lexus IS 250 SE-L - Caspian Sky
2011 BMW E93 335i - Le Mans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st June 2020, 21:45
Expert

Well, "kill" might not be too overexagerated imho, but "noticeably decrease max charge" after deep discharge, yes. And it also means that next case of flat battery is much easier/quicker to get with same pattern of car/battery usage :/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2020, 15:28 Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I dont want the hassle of dealing with those idiots at Brentford Toyota.
When I had gone there in 2019 for an issue I was told all cars must be switched on every 2 days other wise they develop faults.
I told the guy now it explains why a lot of airport car parks ask for keys as they keep turning the car on every 2 days when a person goes on a weeks holiday.
Kaviar likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2020, 16:44
Expert

Imho normal car/battery, what most are used to and expect of, is for car to be started/driven once a week, but should be able to last out for month parked once a year, and should last 3-5 years without problems used this way.
Ours, especially with stock 45Ah battery and fitted with UK car-security, doesn't seem to fit this generally expected "norm".
Yes, some may advise to drive more frequently such as that 2-day interval, but in my eyes those are just workarounds taking into account insufficient stock battery charge and exaggerated power usage of alarm for these particular cars, not something that should be "required" for generic car.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2020, 18:11
Groupie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz2010 View Post
Thanks guys. I dont want the hassle of dealing with those idiots at Brentford Toyota.
When I had gone there in 2019 for an issue I was told all cars must be switched on every 2 days other wise they develop faults.
I told the guy now it explains why a lot of airport car parks ask for keys as they keep turning the car on every 2 days when a person goes on a weeks holiday.
We ought to write book called "Ludicrous Dealer Excuses" ... this can be added to the list!
church and Kaviar like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2020, 13:28
GT86 Senior

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz2010 View Post
hi guys,
I need some advice.
So my car didn't start. I knew it was the batter due to lockdown. Jump started using battery pack. Drove for 30 mins. Next day it would not start again. So on the weekend I jump started again, drove for 60 mins on motorway no traffic. Then 4 hours later I was able to start the car again and drove for 15 mins.
30 hours later car would not start again
Should I replace the battery. Existing battery is tooytoa 65amp and its 1 year old but I have only driven about 700 miles or so in the last year.
Yuasa battery is 117 from halfords.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
And that's why you shouldn't use Halfords! £60.99 delivered from Amazon. My original one was dead after a couple of weeks of inactivity, although it was the original weak one. I just ordered the Yuasa one and will be making sure I go for a weekly drive at the very least

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page