GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Modifying my 86

10K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  Lauren 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at taking the plunge on modifying my GT86. Nothing crazy just a new exhaust system and ECU map.

Wondering if anyone has experience getting this done and has advice or examples, particularly if you've got aTomei UL manifold and Cobra sport cat and system. I really want to know what it's going to sound and perform like before dropping the funds into it.

I'm having all the works done by Fensport for a quality job.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice there, I was going by the recommendation of the guys at Fensport since I'm a novice and they are reputable. I've already got a quote from them at about £2,800 all in including VAT and labour - that would include header, overpipe, front/mid and tails.

Being based in the midlands myself they are local-ish being in Cambridgeshire - Happy to take other recommendations though, although the guys I have spoken to happen to know the dealership managers at Toyota where I get mine serviced personally so I should be fine for future servicing and eventually MOTs etc.

#9 ·
Perhaps I'll go for the resonated rather than non-resonated then. It's tough to really get a feel for how much louder these are from videos, kind of why I was hoping someone local might have one for reference.
Funnily enough I was actually going to ask about the legality of some of these systems since technically if it's louder than stock it's not legal if my interpretation of UK law is correct?

I do want it to be a fuller sound and really get the most of that boxer burble, as well as sort out that torque tip in the mid revs. Plus my mate just got a Mustang and I can't let him have all the fun...

#14 ·
#17 ·
Yeah I am starting to think it may be a bit over the top. It's the emissions that will fail you the MOT, noise regulation, as far as I understand it, is that technically any modded exhaust must not be louder than the OEM for the type class of that vehicle. In reality you shouldn't get pulled over unless you're being a nuisance as it's impossible to tell how loud your car should be without checking, which would be a hassle. Overall it seems to be a bit of a grey area though and I've never heard of anyone being fined for loud exhausts, and there's always one or two going up and down the local roads here and nothing seems to happen. It's only since I've thought about doing it myself that I even thought it to be something I should check first.

#19 ·
Duly noted, I'm going to have another chat with Fensport today and get their advice too. I'll probably get a resonated system instead, hopefully that will restrain it enough while still sounding great.

#20 ·
If you're changing any of the cats/manifold then I'd go for the quietest catback possible while still giving the performance desired. You should still pass emissions with the Cobra CAT but the stock cats were great for keeping noise under control. As an example my 3" system was fine with the stock manifold cat, 88db to 90db when I went full 3", but when I went catless with the manifold it jumped to 109db. With a fully resonated 2.5" system yours will be nowhere near that loud but unresonated there's a good chance you would be.

#26 ·
So I spoke to Fensport again yesterday, they actually thought I wanted resonated in the first place so have confirmed that.

I'm basically ready to confirm everything but now trying to figure out how to get my stock system home, any advice? Will a stock front pipe fit in the boot die to the length, and with all the other parts? I've considered either getting a friend with a longer car or van to come on a day out with me, or renting a van from nearby and making extra trips myself.

My final parts list for reference.
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/gt-86/gt86-17-on/engine-management/ecutek-license-gt86-brz/

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/to...emap-license-not-included-racerom-and-4-maps/

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/to...omei-expreme-unequal-length-exhaust-manifold/

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/gt-86/gt86-17-on/exhaust-system/gt86-brz-cobra-overpipe/

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/to...xhaust-system/gt86-brz-cobra-sports-cat-pipe/

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/to...nated-outverted-slashcut-black-ceramic-tails/

#27 ·
You can fit everything in if you're dropping the rear seats but wrap the ends in old cloths to protect your interior, use whatever packaging you can to stop it moving about. It will scratch the plastics in the rear passenger area if the ends are not covered. I managed to fit a complete boxed new catback and a complete replacement stock system in mine while it was being worked on.

#28 ·
You may want to consider a better option than the Tomei manifold. It is one of the early designs and does not tend to get the gains you will get with the TD EL or UEL manifold, or some of the others on the market.

#36 ·
My knowledge of these things is very limited so I wonder myself if I would even appreciate the difference. To me if it sounds great and the torque dip is mostly levelled out I will be happy as it's a daily driver that I want to track on occasion. The main thing I am concerned about is either paying too much or getting work done that I don't actually need, while I figure Fensport are reputable I do appreciate the feedback of enthusiasts as well.

#37 ·
Beas1987, Based on the products your looking at start with the Tomei UEL exhaust manifold, the cobra resonated cat back exhaust and remap. Forget the overpipe and the front cat pipe. Then see what you think of the power and the exhaust volume/note and work from there. This should also mean you stay MOT legal.

Now there are much better products (ACE Manifold) and better value for money products (Tuning Developments), however the Tomei and Cobra will work to give you an overall improved driving experience which is the most important thing.

Also make sure Fensport add a panel filter, I'd go for the Cosworth one: https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/gt-86/gt86-17-on/engine-tuning/gt86-cosworth-air-filter/

#39 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback, I've picked up a lot since deciding I wanted to modify. Might have to postpone the work as I've come over all sensible and decided that spending all my savings on the car might be a poor choice right now, plus I want to get it professionally detailed after and even with mates discounts from a chap I know, it's also expensive work. I will be uploading pics and reporting back when I get everything done though.

#45 ·
Personally I love this set up. Linear performance, the manifold growls when pushing on but not obnoxious not to mention quality piece of kit. Approx cost was around £3700 inclusive of fitting and this included the Legamax exhaust. Granted it is expensive considering it's well on the way to FI prices but if one wants to stay N/A as I do and don't want the car to sound like an Impreza, this set up will interest you.
Why not contact Mark at Abbey who is very helpful with advice.

#47 ·
I extensively modiifed my car from the outset under finance and my local dealer fitted all the parts. I bought my car outright at the end of the three years PCP. I admit I didn't bother to look about any issues with finance when I did this. Don't forget all these things can be returned to standard if for some reason you had to return the car. So don't see the issue with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.