GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Should I get a GT86?

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  GTRob 
#1 ·
I’ve been admiring this car for a while, after paying off my small hatchback, I decided to learn more about it. I’ve had 5 cars, all hatchbacks, I wanted to wait until I was a bit older until getting a GT86 due to higher insurance etc.

After reading horror stories about driving in bad weather (I live in UK so it’s rarely nothing too horrendous here) it made me think, is it a car for me? I will be using it to commute daily, and it will be my only car.
Is this the kind of car you can easily drive daily? I’ve read lots about the tyres they’re supplied with and would defo consider changing these.

I don’t know much about cars, but I can appreciate a good looking car when I see one.
I’m a confident driver but I’m not someone who wants to drift etc which seems to be what a lot of owners like to do. It would 100% be my pride and joy- but should I get one?
Honest answers please!! Thanks

#2 ·
Best walk away. Bad car. Ugly, unreliable, expensive and scary.We're only here because we get paid for it. 'Onnist.

the horror stories are new to me though. With the right tyres (not HP) it's not a difficult car in the rain though some people will still manage to mess things up. It does reward driving skill and you don't need to get into the drifting stuff for that. The main gripe people have is the engine lacks a bit of grunt.

As for usability as a daily, too early to tell with 130k on the speedo.

#6 ·
I'm not sure what horror stories you've heard, some folks are not fans of the Michelin Primacys. I've got them on and will replace with the same and have had no problems with them. It depends how you drive and whether you have the Traction control on I suppose. If you drive like a twit then you will get in trouble but drive sympathetically & feel the car, then it is one of the most enjoyable driving experiences.
Probably best to book a test drive (when able to do so) to see if it appeals to you.

#7 ·
Do it. You deserve it.

I'm in the honeymoon phase with my 86 so still learning the quirks and nature of the car.

That said, I live in Wales and it rains a lot in my county. So long as you drive sensibly you shouldn't have issues in the wet, even with the stock Primacy tyres.

#8 ·
Is it a potential daily driver - definite yes
Is it a 4 seater - only occasional and small kids in back seat only.
Is its boot spacious - yes if you fold the rear seats down.
Is it a scary car to drive - No, drive it sensibly with limited throttle input in bends and turns and you will never have the tail wag
Is it fuel efficient- for a 2L yes, about 30 in town and upto 40 mpg on long motorway.
Can I get an automatic to make town / City driving easier - Yes

What is not to like? You will love it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Of course you should buy one - but you might not get an unbiased view here!
Personally, the top 3 things about the car are RWD, LSD & N/A engine. All those acronyms are best appreciated when pressing on a bit, but for just pootling about you might find it slow, cramped, noisy and a crap radio. I have used mine daily for 3+ years and it is the best car I have ever owned.
Note when I say slow above, I really mean low on torque at low revs when compared to a turbo alternative.

#11 ·
It's a great driver's car and perfectly acceptable as a daily.

Because it is a driver's car it sometimes gets driven too quickly and that can result in mishaps (as it can with any car), however I have found it to be really predictable and handles really, really well. Although mine doesn't have the stock Primacy tyres, which seem to cause most of the problems and leads some to think the car drifts at the slightest opportunity, it doesn't, it will if you want it to but you really shouldn't be doing that on a public road.

If you can have a drive in one, that normally seals the deal!

#15 ·
It's a great driver's car and perfectly acceptable as a daily.

Because it is a driver's car it sometimes gets driven too quickly and that can result in mishaps
i've mulled over this point for a couple years now. the direct drivetrain, lack of low end torque and jiggly ride all conspire to encourage enthusiastic driving. All the time. many a hatch or even an mx5 can bumble along if need need be, but the 86 doesn't settle in to pottering mode at all.

#13 ·
Go for it bought mine just before Christmas. Love every time I go out I have a smile on my face. It is fine I would say as a daily driver. I have used mine most days. If you are worried about grip get some multiseason tyres.
I should have bought this car 8 years ago. My family and I are petrol heads and have had many cars from boring to exciting over the years. My son and I love this car but then we do own between us an 80's boxer engine Alfa.

#14 ·
Love mine - had it for 3.5 years now, the longest I've had any car, and I've been driving for 34 years and usually change cars every 18 months. Can't imagine what I'd change it to. The power seems just fine to me - and I've had a number of modified Impreza's before. What I love about it is that every single journey in it is enjoyable, you are in no doubts you are in a sports car.

Fuel economy is just fine, I average 36mpg. I don't regret buying it for a second. As with amcluesent above, I change my tyres to winter ones each year, just to be safe (also live in Scotland).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.