Advice, Thoughts & Help - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 10:42 Thread Starter

Advice, Thoughts & Help

I have been the proud owner of my GT86 for the last 3 years and have had a lot of fun enjoying the car for all it has to offer on the road, However it has all recently gone dramatically wrong with the engine giving up on me for no apparent reason.
I'm now looking for some advice or any thoughts or help with my situation, as i mentioned the engine has given up I was driving down the motor way and with no warning I started to hear a knocking within the engine after stopping and seeing nothing obvious I carried on as i wasn't far from home, only for the knocking to seem to get worse so I pulled over again and simply called the AA when I turned the engine over again we immediately stopped it because it sounded like it was tearing itself apart they then towed me to a local garage near home.
Once in the local garage they had a look and said that the engine was hard to turn over by hand and couldn't do much more because they didn't have the tools so I towed the car over to Toyota who started to investigate.
They immediately came back saying there was a lot of metal shavings in the oil sump and initially said it was the wrong oil and oil filter that had been put in and on so after going back to the garage that had done the work it seemed that they had fitted the correct filter and the oil was fine (not Toyota recommended) but never the less fine.
Back with Toyota I was worried it could be the recall that had caused the problems with regards the sealant and valves / springs. Toyota have taken the side plate of the engine off and say everything is ok no blockages and sealant was intact.
I'm now in a position where I need to make a decision, do I,

A. By a second hand engine and get it fitted
B. Take it to an engineer to strip clean and rebuild the engine
C. Sell car as is or just the chassis

open to any other options suggestions anyone can recommend.

Really could do with any help or advice on this as i'm still in the absolutely gutted stage at the mo.

My car is a 2013 GT86 with around 77K on the clock.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 11:08
GT86 Senior

Garage
Hi Stretch

You mention you the recall, have you had this done? This will change the advice given going forward.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 11:30
Groupie

Hello and welcome, I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had with your car

Just to check, how recently was the car in for the valve spring recall?
It's interesting the garage said the wrong filter and oil was used and so quickly. Did they send the oil away for analysis?
Out of interest, do you know what oil/filter the independent garage actually used?

Thinking about it, I believe the recall would have meant an oil change and the recall will have been done within the last 12 months? So why the extra service, it's not a bad thing, far from it. I'm just trying to workout the timeline.

Putting all of that to one side for now, I believe a 2nd engine can be had for around £3k or so. This is no small sum of money, especially in relation to the value of your car, being a '13 with 77k on the clock.
I guess you could make an insurance claim but I might cost you dearly in the long run!

Rebuild wise, it's hard to know if it would be feasible, not without knowing the exact damage done, so a new engine would probably be a better option??

If budget allows, I'd be tempted to sell the car as is and use the money as a deposit against another 86 or BRZ.
But... we need to work out what the story is around the recall first.

*Edit*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will300 View Post
Hi Stretch

You mention you the recall, have you had this done? This will change the advice given going forward.
Beat me too it! As ever, it took me ages to reply

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 13:46 Thread Starter

Hi all,
Thanks for replying so soon yes the recall was done the end of last year October time I believe I would have to double check my paperwork.
The service at the beginning of the year was just a year on from my last major service so decided to do it just to keep her ticking over nicely.

Yes it was quite a quick come back from Toyota reference the oil. I went back to the garage and they showed me there system linking the filter and oil to my car was correct apparently...
(The filter that was fitted to your vehicle was a Fram ph5317 as listed in the Fram catalogue and the oil was Titan Supersyn F Eco DT)
I also have an oil sample given by toyota and the garage that serviced my car are offering to send it away.

Like you say whatever I do I'm out of pocket potentially a lot of money by no fault of my own.

Absolutely gutted.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 14:13
GT86 Senior

Garage
Check your paperwork asap, this could be a recall related issue in which case you have some come back. There is a 12month guarantee on the engine post recall.
Kaviar likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 14:13
Groupie

Garage
Quote:
recall was done the end of last year October time I believe I would have to double check my paperwork.
Err not trying to be funny but I think you would know if you had .. it's a 2-3 day engine out process ...

Toyota are always going to blame the other garage if not a Toyota franchise .. first line of defence.

And can they tell from taking off a sideplate? I very much doubt it ...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 16:36 Thread Starter

Gazza 82 you misunderstand I did have the recall done as I had a courtesy car for the week but i wasn't quite sure of the exact date.

I will have to check exactly what the paperwork says reference the recall because I am within the twelve months but not sure what the stipulations are on the guarantee.

They sent me photos etc with the side off and said the recall wasn't to blame as the pipes were not blocked and are now saying they would be unwilling to strip the engine further as it is uneconomical I'm not sure what i'm looking at so have no technical knowledge to back an argument.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 19:04
Groupie

I wonder it was the front cover? I believe there are some oil galleries built in too it??

Then again... it's no fun putting that cover back on, due to all the sealant and I don't see them taking the valve covers off. So it might have been the sump??

Please could post the photos, might help clear things up lol.
If you can't, did the photos look something like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/pzs41hiiRaBnVXK6A
Or more like a black bowl?

Either way, it should be under warranty so I'd try contacting Toyota GB directly. They should be more neutral than the dealer.
Stretch likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 19:14 Thread Starter

Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6192 (1).JPG (139.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6190 (1).JPG (137.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6191 (1).JPG (122.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6189 (1).JPG (158.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6188 (1).JPG (170.6 KB, 30 views)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th July 2020, 20:01
Groupie

Thank you I wasn't expecting them to have taken the engine out?!
That's definitely the front cover, with lots of photos of the galleries looking clear.

As before, next steps are to go back and push the dealer about the warranty and have a chat with Toyota GB. See what they can do to help out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page