FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Window automatically opens with keyless entry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zonefx View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zonefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window automatically opens with keyless entry
    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 8:34am
We've had a few sunny days in Manchester(ish). Not normal I know, but it could explain the unusual phenomena I've experienced on the last 3 mornings.

I leave home about 7am each morning, as I reach for the drivers door and open it "keyless" the window automatically winds itself down. For a few moments, the automatic wind up/down doesn't work and I have to keep the button pressed to get the window to wind all the way back up. During this time the passenger window doesn't work at all from the drivers side. After running the engine for about 30 seconds all is returned to normal and the whole thing can not be replicated until the next morning. The issue this is likely due to heat, but the car is left in the sun all day in the office car park without a problem and logic would state that it would be cooler overnight?

It's been warm in Manchester(ish) recently, but not that hot and the 86 is available in far sunnier postcodes worldwide?
Dave
----------
Red - 2013
Sponsored Links

church View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote church Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
Normal not auto lowering-rising or in general working of window rising mechanism issues on these cars most often happen in winter/in cold, when due seals freezing or alike, window rising controller misdetects inability to move window as if "something in the way of glass", thus by programmed in behaviour for safety/not injuring potential hand or head in way, leaves window where is and just flashing indicators on window rising-lowering switch.
If this is the case, you can check by seeing if that indicator on switch is blinking. If yes, you may try to reset door window controller by first lowering all way down (+keeping it pressed for 2-3sec) and then rising windows up (and in upmost position keep switch lifted for 2-3sec), which should reset said controller and make it relearn topmost and lowest positions of glass.
If that's not the case and such reset won't help, i suspect some issues which should be dealt with by dealership eletricians (hopefully you still have warranty?).

BTW, IIRC there should be way to change behavior of window mechanisms/controllers to not auto-lower on open and auto-rise on door close. But if you didn't change it and previously it was working fine, i doubt that's the case.
Otherwise autolowering and autorise shouldn't work only if window was lowered before you opening/closing door. (which i sometimes do, by lowering both windows slightly, during hottest summer days in direct sunlight when parked in guarded parking lot, so that due open gap car doesn't heat up too much).
zonefx View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zonefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:16am
It happened again today. The window controls are not flashing at all, just as I touch the door handle to open the door, the window winds all the way down. This isn't something that happens all the time and to date has only happened upon first approach in the morning. This morning after the car has sat untouched for 4 days.

I've also had a couple of instances when the key-less entry doesn't work at all for the drivers door, although I hear it trying to work. I've had to access via the passenger door and reach across. Once open, there is no longer an issue. On the occasions where this has happened the car has sat in direct sunlight all day.

I'm pretty sure this must all be related to heat building up in the door cavity during hot spells. I'm lucky I live in Manchester(ish) so this won't normally present itself as an issue.

There is another potential cause. I did fit some Focal speakers last month. I may not have fully re-seated the electrical connectors? Although all other door mounted controls appear to be working fine? I can't believe for a minute it would have anything to do with my DIY mechanic skills!
Dave
----------
Red - 2013
church View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote church Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:36am
Even in hottest sunny days i had no such issues. And i guess that extra heat just surfaces some defect/malfunction that is there. I'd say that it's warranty/dealership electrician thing then to check all connections and/or door window rising controller and fix or replace as needed
EDIT
Oh, so that problem appeared only after speaker install? Yes, then i'd check all wiring that was possibly touched in doors during install.
NJay View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
I would check too as loose/disconnected wiring is not submissable to Toyota as warranty claim.

Got told this when querying the £150 possible charge to investigate when it goes in for its service 20th June. mentioned seats weren't heating up to be told if the previous owner had removed them (I highly doubt they had) and either failed to reconnect or damaged the wiring then work to correct is not submissable for warranty claim. Sounds like utter rubbish to me and purely because I bought the car from another dealership 100miles away
zonefx View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zonefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm
My car is now out of warranty, hence why I went to work fitting the speakers myself. Fortunately it's not a huge job the remove the door card and remove and reconnect the connections once more!
Dave
----------
Red - 2013
Conscript View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conscript Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm
It's got to be that. The heat in the car causing an errant connection as the wires expand and contract.
I'd disconnect everything you touched, and reconnect it all giving everything a good clean with some contact cleaner then see how you go from there. 
Harry G View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:43pm
GeekAs soon as you unlatch the door, the window should drop about an inch.  I wonder if it has got itself confused and instead of the short drop is going all the way down?
They don't make 'em like they used to! Thank goodness
Sammca View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by NJay NJay wrote:

I would check too as loose/disconnected wiring is not submissable to Toyota as warranty claim.

Got told this when querying the £150 possible charge to investigate when it goes in for its service 20th June. mentioned seats weren't heating up to be told if the previous owner had removed them (I highly doubt they had) and either failed to reconnect or damaged the wiring then work to correct is not submissable for warranty claim. Sounds like utter rubbish to me and purely because I bought the car from another dealership 100miles away

I got this exact response when I took mine in for heated seats, and then they found the bolts looked like the had been tampered with and refused to work on it under warranty!

Luckily the dealer who sold it me was still liable, and it turned out that the full leather seats are put in later by a third party and the bolts are often a bit rougher than standard Toyota installation and they hadn't been touched, much to my releif.
zonefx View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zonefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Harry G Harry G wrote:

GeekAs soon as you unlatch the door, the window should drop about an inch.  I wonder if it has got itself confused and instead of the short drop is going all the way down?

These problems are intermittent and appear to be related to periods of sustained sunshine. I really do think the culprit is more than likely me when fitting the speakers and not firmly seating the door control connector. Once the wind dies down a little and the biblical rain stops, I'll have a go at some remedial door card removal and replacement. Manchester(ish) problems!!! it's either too wet or too windy to sort a problem caused by excessive sunshine! Even when sorted, it could take years for it to be sunny enough to see if it's fixed!
Dave
----------
Red - 2013
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic