FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

TRC & ABS lights on, Cruise Ctrl out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tony H View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRC & ABS lights on, Cruise Ctrl out
    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 4:33pm
I was driving merrily along the A2 this morning on cruise control. It was cold (4 degrees C), but dry. Suddenly the cruise control dropped out (as did its green light), and the ABS and TRC warning lights came on.

First thought: must be a wheel speed sensor failed.

Stopped for petrol. Restarted, hoping things had re-set.  Unfortunately not, situation unchanged.

Stopped again later for a two hour walk (in occasional snow showers!). Restarted: all OK.

So, intermittent fault/bad connection with a wheel speed sensor? Anyone else had this?

Not unduly worried, it can wait to be looked at under warranty when I next visit the dealer, and I've spent most of my driving life without either TRC or ABS.  Curiously though, I felt stupidly vulnerable without the nannies, even though I've never actually needed any of them to date Confused
Sponsored Links

Kodename47 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
DJ Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodename47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
No check engine light? Without working out what the fault was then it could be a number of things. It should throw a code if it goes into limp mode.
.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Litchfield Springs / Abbey MS Geo
Tony H View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm
No, just the lights I mentioned.  No other symptoms..
thetyrant View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetyrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:40am
Lots of things can cause this and one of first things car does when it detects a sensor fault is disable CC and put those lights on you mention,  i had it on my last 86 and you need to get it scanned for error codes as mentioned above to start you in right direction of cause,  is your car stock or modifed in any way ?

On my car it was a fuel trim issue from a glitch in the mapping causing it, took some time to find the cause as first thought it was sports cat manifold, then the rear 02 sensor before by chance when datalogging noticed the fuel trims go crazy when cruise control was active, as above though you need the error code that should be stored on car to get you looking in right place for your issue.

Moves With Clouds View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moves With Clouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Tony H Tony H wrote:

Not unduly worried, it can wait to be looked at under warranty when I next visit the dealer, and I've spent most of my driving life without either TRC or ABS.  Curiously though, I felt stupidly vulnerable without the nannies, even though I've never actually needed any of them to date Confused
Very recognizable how one tends to become emotionally dependent on nannies.
A lot on this car is tuned towards increasing safety. The understeer, the braking, the autolsd, the tc and vsc.
Now I have to say, for those who don't need them, the nannies also tune towards civilized driving. It was snowing yesterday.
Just keep it pointed in the general direction you want to go
Kesler View Drop Down
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Toyota GB Social Media Community Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kesler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:17pm
If it happens again and your CC is off, switch it on. If it's yellow instead of green, and you cannot switch it back off, it would replicate my issue - would take it to the Toyota Dealer and get it checked out. Mine was a faulty coil pack which was replaced under warranty.
Tony H View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:14pm
Thanks for the replies.  I'd never have dreamt that a fuelling issue / cats / sensors could cause something like this - the joys of modern motoring, eh?  I'd driven about 10 miles from cold when the issue occurred, so the fuelling may well have been on the rich side.  No wonder I stuck with cars that used leaded fuel and no cat for as long as I could!

The car is a completely standard mod. 2017.

I've driven about 240 miles since I had the issue, with numerous switches on-off, and about half the time on cruise control.  No repeat of the symptoms.  I'll keep you posted of any developments.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic