FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

The 'RATTLES' thread...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434445
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aspen8 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:10pm
Anyone ever dropped something down the air vents and been able to retrieve it? I’ve had a really annoying rattle since I bought my car last year and after lots of poking around, I think it’s coming from the passenger air vents. It looks an awful lot like the entire dash might need to come out to get to the vents. My best idea so far is to ram something flexible and sticky down there and hope it picks up whatever is loose. Any other ideas?
Previously owned 2012 Orange 86. Now have Black 2013 86
Sponsored Links

Cenedd View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cenedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:48pm
It's been a long time since I've been behind there but if I remember correctly, you can remove the glovebox without too much hassle and then you'd have a better view of the air conduits. If it happens to be metal (yeah, probably too convenient) you might be able to chase it back up the pipe with a magnet.
aspen8 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:50am
Ah good thinking. It’s sounds metallic! I’ll definitely give that a try.
aspen8 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:32am
Also ordered a usb endoscope from amazon. This rattle will not defeat me!
Conscript View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conscript Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Cenedd Cenedd wrote:

It's been a long time since I've been behind there but if I remember correctly, you can remove the glovebox without too much hassle and then you'd have a better view of the air conduits. If it happens to be metal (yeah, probably too convenient) you might be able to chase it back up the pipe with a magnet.

That or just stick a magnet to the pipe and leave it holding whatever is rattling in place.
aspen8 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:15pm
No joy with endoscope. Got a friend coming to help me on Saturday. There’s a nice low mileage BRZ near by that’s looking more and more appealing!
Hatchi View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:47am
Can I join the club?   Arghhhh Angry

Owned my 2017 BRZ for 6 months now and until last week it was completely rattle free. I had browsed this thread and thought ' that sounds like a right PITA' glad mine is OK Wink

I know a few have stated on the thread that it's down to Subaru knocking them together but in my experience with 3 Subaru's over 12 years (XT, FSTI, Legacy) not one of them developed any significant and troublesome rattles!  It does appear the G86/BRZ is not knocked together quite so well Thumbs Down  I test drove a 2016 GT86 and 2015 BRZ and both did have a few creaks and squeaks inside the cockpit but the 2017 BRZ I ended up with was silent.......... until nowErmm

My rattle does sound like the described clickety examples mentioned coming from behind the dash central air vents. It has become pretty much a permanent sound now after initially only developing above 40mph

Could this be the one that turns out to be actually coming from under the steering column?
2017 BRZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434445
  Share Topic