FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

The 'RATTLES' thread...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 42434445>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lowe View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 6:05pm
That’s the gear stick rattle. Very common but covered under warranty.
#teamgrey
Sponsored Links

Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 2:10pm
Hmm doesn't sounds like it's coming from that area, but I'll have to try it again.

EDIT: it was actually coming from the gearknob

Edited by Nasher - 10 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm
flyfinn View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:51pm
I just dodged a bullet. I have a major rattle. Sounded like a loose heat shield. Ended up being a broken exhaust bracket. I have a TRD and you cannot just replace the bracket. The entire back end of the exhaust has to be replaced. The part costs £2100. I have 2 months left on my warranty...Toyota covering it...anyone else got same issue?
white...TRD...manual
Cenedd View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cenedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:22pm
No, but fairly sure you can buy a mig welder for less than that AND go on a course to learn how to use it and still have change!
(Alternatively you could get your local welder to stainless weld it so it won't rust.)
EB2429 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EB2429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:11pm
Interesting noise coming from drivers door.

When I go around a roundabout it sounds like, what can best be described as, a pen rolling about in the door space, clearly I have nothing in the bottle holder ion the door but it sounds just like it.

Reluctant to get the door card off or take it to the dealer, in case I introduce more issues, but my guess is something isn't clipped in correctly and it moves and kind of hits plastic like its rolling from one side to the other or hard cornering.  very weird 
Senna View Drop Down
Lost Soul
Lost Soul
Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:28pm
Sounds like maybe a clip has broken off inside door?

Door cards not so tough to take off...try one of the great Scion FRS vids on Youtube or others closer to home.
Detailing guru...- Keep it clean, folks! Now a powerful Sith Lord after lusting for power & being seduced by the Dark Side (PORSCHE! ). Still a GT86 fan though...
EB2429 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EB2429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:36am
Thanks Senna 

Taken many off in my time, but trying to avoid removing things if I can, as clips break or more rattles start.  Perhaps I will mention it to the dealer at the 1st service if i can wait.
Senna View Drop Down
Lost Soul
Lost Soul
Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:15am
Originally posted by EB2429 EB2429 wrote:

Thanks Senna 

Taken many off in my time, but trying to avoid removing things if I can, as clips break or more rattles start.  Perhaps I will mention it to the dealer at the 1st service if i can wait.

That wouldn't be my advice...dealers are seldom really interested and will usually just pay it lip service.

Even if they do have a go, they then tend to go at it 'like a bull in a china shop' and will probably make it worse.

I would do it yourself carefully.
Detailing guru...- Keep it clean, folks! Now a powerful Sith Lord after lusting for power & being seduced by the Dark Side (PORSCHE! ). Still a GT86 fan though...
EB2429 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EB2429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
Very true, I can do it carefully with patience and time as its not a daily car, they will put the lowest paid lad on it and give them less than 30 mins to diagnose and fix.

Cenedd View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cenedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:40am
This isn't technically a "rattle" but I'm hoping someone has found the cause before and can spare me the sanity loss!
My '86 has started playing tunes. Sounds like a pitch pipe you'd tune a guitar with and it's always the same note. Found it was reliablly repeatable when the speedo hits 72 and it seems to happen at various different speeds below that but harder to reproduce.
I'm assuming it's something resonating and the slower speeds are probably harmonics but I'm not sure if it's air flow or engine vibration causing it of what's vibrating. Anyone solved this before?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 42434445>
  Share Topic