FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

squealing brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Galaxian View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galaxian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 7:46am
Cosworth streetmaster definitely work.available from fensport
Grey GT86, MT, Alcantara, SatNav, reversing sensors, HKS filter and uel manifold, avo overpipe , Berk HFC, Miltek res exhaust, Perrin intake, Fensport ECUTek tune
Sponsored Links

Mr Slow View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Robmoth11 Robmoth11 wrote:

So mine squeals at really low speed braking, just wondering if any one has found a 100% fix for this, weather it is by new pads, new discs or both. And if so what pads fix the problem. Thanks

It's the compound of the pads causing the squeal, the only 100% fix is a replacement pad.
Cenedd View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cenedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:26am
You can get the front pads replaced under warranty as it's an accepted problem and the new pads do seem to fix it. However, they don't (and won't) replace the rears which are more prone to squealing as they do less of the braking. Still, it saves you 50% of the cost.
I went with StopTech grooved discs on the rear and some Project Mu pads I got from the 'for sale' forum. Looked at putting them on the front too but they're unreasonably expensive new!
Furnate View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Galaxian Galaxian wrote:

Cosworth streetmaster definitely work.available from fensport

I have streetmaster rears, they squeal like mad. Ermm
Rich
yams View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 5:44pm

So mine squeals at really low speed braking, just wondering if any one has found a 100% fix for this, weather it is by new pads, new discs or both. And if so what pads fix the problem. Thanks

Was mentioned to me today that the squeal from OE/some AM pads is down to a too smaller groove in the middle of the pad that collects brake dust & has no where to escape.

If you can widen the groove yourself you can remove the squeal....?!

Maybe, anyway.
Red, Eibach Pro springs, Blitz adv power induction, black Rota Torques with Mich CC+'s, re-badged black, prv plate, BC lights..... & lots of other little random mods.
Matthias Sammer View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Sammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 1:41pm
Question chaps, does the squealing affect braking performance at all?

I mentioned it to the dealer a week ago (a week after collecting - 2012, 35k) that I was hearing squeals but would give it a week or two more before deciding whether to get it checked out. I've sadly not driven loads lately.
Cenedd View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cenedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 1:58pm
It's basically caused by the pads glazing because you're driving it too sensibly. If you brake harder it'll deglaze the pads for a while. So logically it should reduce performance until it wears off. Mainly it's damned irritating and deafens pedestrians.
The TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) only covers replacing the front pads...but as brake force is biased to the front, the rear pads are likely to glaze more (in my head).
I'd use the TSB as a way to get a free replacement of front pads and then stick either decent pads on the back or grooved discs and decent pads if you want to make sure. I did this and was pleased enough to then do the front too.
gazza82 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by yams yams wrote:

Was mentioned to me today that the squeal from OE/some AM pads is down to a too smaller groove in the middle of the pad that collects brake dust & has no where to escape.

If you can widen the groove yourself you can remove the squeal....?!

Maybe, anyway.

Always been pad material in my book ... grooves or no grooves ...
Eddie342 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 7:00pm
I have this issue too, just on the front left, earlier today I removed the pads, cleaned and re-greased the sliders, sanded off a slight ridge on the discs and away I went, 10 miles and no noise, pulled up at home and the bugger's back.....so when you find a solution, be sure to post it...
Cenedd View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cenedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
As Gazza said, it's the material the pad is made of. It supposed to be quite good for track use but that means for sedate road use it glazes over and squeals. Your choices are to change material, get grooved (or C-hooked) discs that deglaze the pad (possibly at the expense of pad life) or both.
If it's of any help, I've got the StopTech grooved discs front and back (sensibly priced and decent performance), StopTech pads on the front and Project Mu on the rear. Didn't go for the Mu's on the front solely because of the price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic