Print Page | Close Window

Deposit down

Printed From: Toyota GT 86 Owners Club
Category: General Message Area
Forum Name: Newbies
Forum Description: Hi and Welcome! Introduce yourself here......
URL: http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13319
Printed Date: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Deposit down
Posted By: Mark E Mark
Subject: Deposit down
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:58pm
Well after pressure from the wife to change my car for something newer, I had settled on two cars, with the GT86 being one of them. Finally found a dealer with a 2017 model, so I spent some time looking an sitting in it, compared specs to Mk1 ( zero differences in on paper,  performance, fuel or Cd values). The mk2 looks better in the flesh than in the photos, but I prefer the mk1. Note impressed with the mk2 interior updates - especially THE REMOVAL OF THE CD PLAYER. Also no red alloy intake thingy under the bonnet (see US spec ones) just the same plastic one as the mk1. Therefore I decided to look for a reduce price mk1. Seemed to have been all sold, but then I found 3, reduced price. Rung up, the one I wanted gone, only 2 left (cheaper than the one that had sold). Took the plunge and put a deposit done on a Red GT86, 2017 pre reg. Picking it up in 2 weeks. Have I done the right thing? Main concern is seat comfort and noise when sat on motorway, should I have gone for my second car choice?

Tell me the seat are comfy for motorway stints, and it not that noisy.

Replies:
Posted By: ROB.C
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:01pm
I find the seats comfy and not overly noisy on motorway just enjoy it whatever

-------------
Rob

Posted By: IrishRob
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:02pm
I have done long treks on the motorway in mine and find the seats very comfy, nicer that the Recaros in my last car. As for noise i think stock they are on par with most cars these days but cant comment accurately as mine has an after market exhaust. Welcome to the club though you will love it.

Posted By: Maverick
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:17pm
I've done 4 hours through Europe and had no issues. That's despite lower and stiffer suspension. Overall find it comfy..
You have made the right choice!

Posted By: amcluesent
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:19pm
Noise?

Well, 1st thing is remove the sound-generator which pipes unnecessary engine noise into the cabin.

I spent time installing closed cell foam, vibration mats and acoustic wool around the car when I swapped the OEM speakers for Focal units. The door panels, rear-quarter panels and roof panels all benefit from damping.

To save weight the sound-deadening is minimal and you get plenty of tyre noise.

Motorway runs are OK so long as you have an auto-box to go with the cruise-control

-------------
http://bit.ly/2mx6PsH - My GT86

Posted By: cts
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:24pm
Congrats on the choice.  Out of interest - what was the other car you were considering along side the GT86?

Comfort and noise are pretty relative, what are you coming from?  I've only had my GT86 coming up for a month, and only been on a couple of longer drives but found a motorway speed it's really not that loud and the seats (I have the leather) are pretty comfortable, certainly supportive.  If the you do find the noise an issue, 1.) Plug the noise pumped into the cabin ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPJPfwFo-sM - video ), 2.) turn up that CD you're glad you can play LOL 

Posted By: fridgeman
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 7:10am
yes you have done the right thing, you really have to drive the gt86 properly to fully appreciate how well it drives. As far as the comfort of the seats goes I really don't think you will have a problem as they are very supportive and have a great seating position, the noise isn't bad at all on motorways , I have done some longish drives and felt fairly fresh afterwards.
I have just picked up my second and had a golf gti performance pack in between, the golf was a great car and did everything very well but for really enjoyment the gt86 beats it easily....I missed the gt86 every day of owning the gti and once you have owned the gt86 some of the better options that other cars can offer by way of performance or equipment don't mean so much....good luck and enjoy
Ps what colour did you buy.

Posted By: Harry G
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:48am
GeekA warm welcome Mark!

Hope all goes well.

-------------
They don't make 'em like they used to! Thank goodness

Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:14am
With work I have driven a number of cars (and a few small vans). So as long as it is average I don't mind (better than a 1.3 diesel Corsa, Fiesta 1.3, I hope so). Best car for comfort Jag X-Type. Vectra, Insigna, Passat all OK. It will be a come down from my current car (Rover 75) comfort wise.  With the GT86 I got a 24% discount, compared to the original price, which is why I went for it.

It is all the 'scare stories' on line about the noise. I test drove an Areo, and was concentrating on the noise issues, hopefully the 17" wheels will slightly reduce the road noise. Thought the engine was very smooth an revs freely (just like my old SXi).  

As I was keen to get a deposit down, as this was the best price I have seen, I don't know if it has the spoiler or not!

Looked at a Merc SLC ( GOOD DISCOUNTS in the winter months). But a 2 seater is REALLY restrictive, at least my dogs can be transported on the rear seats of 86.

Colour choice was Red or Orange, Red £500 cheaper, and I am slightly colour blind, I rather save the £500.

Been looking at sound proofing matter, and know a bit about noise propagation. Want an easy fix for the best reduction.
cts thanks for the video link. 
amcluesent - I could do the door panels, Roof linning I will leave. Is the a benefit to put sound insulation in the boot. This should be a easy job, or forget the boot and do the door panels. 
Fridgeman - Cheap colour -Red. I have seen a few white ones on the road recently, red seems to be rare? Good to hear you prefer it to a GTi. Just drove a 1.6 diesel golf the other week. It was a car, OK, if you said did you like it, do you want one - no. 

It is just the pain of paying for the car outright, but the 86 do seem to hold their prices quite well.

Have drive a mk2 TT  2.0 Tsi, great engine, but the steering felt remote, did not feel I could position the car were I wanted. The recent A3 S-line I drove was better than the TT. Note: All company cars and vans I have driven are diesel (apart from the TT).

I will tell you my second choice, after I have picked up the 86. Much more common than the 86, rear wheel drive, 2 litre, but 5 seats!

Posted By: Nasher
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:05pm
I find the GT86 pretty comfortable for a sports car, motorway cruising is no problem. The suspension is firm but manages to iron out the bumps quite well, a bit like a Lotus.

A car like this will always bit a bit loud, there's quite some gear noise on the GT86 as well. Not much you can do about that really, even the stock exhaust is quite loud when you floor it. But it sounds good and never annoying. Road noise depends more on the tyre than the car, the Primacies are quite quiet.

Audi handling is always a bit numb, they are cars for the mainstream. The GT86 is a lot more "raw". Which is what petrolheads like. You can feel and hear everything that's going on.

Posted By: sam534
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:22pm
Travelled numerous 2-7hour motorway journeys non-stop in the 86, its fine. Had worse in hatchbacks such as the purgeot 208

-------------
Standard black beauty GT86 - Leather + Nav

Posted By: Z3D
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:38pm
Just done my first trip from London to Manchester, honestly felt better than my wife's seat ibiza.

I'm actually really surprised at how refined it can be

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:10pm
Sounds like (pun not intended) noise levels less than super minis (size B cars) but more than small family (size C cars). Are the Focal TOY speakers a good improvement? Could add sound proofing to doors at the same time.

Posted By: Robbijay
Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Mark E Mark Mark E Mark wrote:

I will tell you my second choice, after I have picked up the 86. Much more common than the 86, rear wheel drive, 2 litre, but 5 seats!

3 series then?!  Welcome, you won't regret it. Fitting some decent tyre should help road noise a lot.

-------------
2015 Black // Nav // Reverse Camera // DAB // Dashcam

Cosworth Panel Filter // Fensport Remap
HKS UEL Catted Manifold // Miltek Overpipe // Berk HFC // Blitz NUR-Spec CTi Cat Back Exhaust

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:06pm
Robbijay, congrats, a 320d. The 86 is a lot cheaper, and I have been looking at them sometime, since they came out. 320d probably more suitable, but due to personnel circumtances, and the great price, 86 here I come. Not sure of stop/start function on turbo engines. I come off a motorway, let the car idle for 15-30 S before turning engine of, to ensure turbo has cooling oil. Stop start would switch the engine off straight away, not good for very hot turbo bearings. I will be driving back the shortest route from the dealers, c
an you guess why?

Posted By: Tony H
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 5:21pm
If you're concerned about noise, then blocking the sound tube in the footwell (a standard wine bottle cork does the job perfectly) is a must. The 86 is much more civilised then.

Even after several days, I can't believe what a difference it makes.  The engine now sounds smoother and the performance feels more effortless.  The cork is therefore staying put unless I know I'm going out for a play, and even then, I'm not sure I'll remove it: the sound of the actual intake is pretty nice when you really give the car the beans.

Posted By: dantheman
Date Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:22pm
Personally I love the noise and don't find it annoying at all and comfort wise the sports seats are very comfy and make u feel safe and easy to get in and out off,good choice and happy motoring 👌

Date Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:32pm
Picked up car, driving to see my folks. Spent 2 hours in the car, seats fine. Only another 6 hours drive left. Thanks to 50mph M way limts. Car has no spoiler , but it hascarcon pack fitted

Date Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:04pm
Just put the GT into my 86. 9.5 hours drive from Glasgow to south Devon. 41.5 mpg. Seats fine. Plugged the sound generator at my first M way stop with the 12 volt plug cover,located behind the glove box.Made a slight difference.

Posted By: growlerkat
Date Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:40pm
That's a heck of a first drive!!

Date Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:59pm

Plugged the sound generator at my first M way stop with the 12 volt plug cover,located behind the glove box.Made a slight difference.

Probably only a slight difference because the sound generator doesn't transmit much noise at steady cruising speeds.  

If you don't notice much odds when accelerating, try a wine cork!

Posted By: Speedhuntermattgt86
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:19am
Welcome to the forum dude personally Seats in my opinion are ridiculously comfy as for noise you can get a intake pipe with noise generator delete if you find it to loud in the cabin which is what I did still enjoy i regret nothing

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:39pm
The day after THE DRIVE, thoughts on the 86. Stuff which I thought would be insignificant, but made a bigger impression one way or another. Rear veiw mirror, who gives a monkeys, well I think the rimless mirror is great, large enough and sturdy by light weight design. Wing mirrors good. I could ajust them so when I could not see a vehicle in them. the vehicle hand entered my periferal vision (unlike experiances in a Audi A3+ Kai Tuscan).Although I had the seat at the loweat position, but... I did not feel that low (weird). It felt lower on my test drive. People talk about improving the sound system. I feel that better sound proofing first, will impove the exisiting audio experiance. Cheap material on hand brake and gear lever. Garage advert sticker removed. Thought I would order the 86 armrest but...did not miss it once in the 9.5 hours! Fuel consumption slightly better than expected. Find it easier to use left arm to pull seat belt down than by using right arm which I have always done, weird. Think stop/start stuff is a gimmick. Excuse any typos, I am typing this on a smartphone.

Posted By: amcluesent
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:05pm
>Rear veiw mirror, who gives a monkeys, well I think the rimless mirror is great, large enough and sturdy by light weight design<

Get in Intec high-level brake light, doing away with the 'pod' on the rear shelf makes a huge difference.

-------------
http://bit.ly/2mx6PsH - My GT86

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:23pm
^^^^Second that!!

Posted By: Speedhuntermattgt86
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:31pm
Ohhh where can I get one

Posted By: Nelix
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:32pm
Stop/start?

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:59pm
Sorry I ment the start/stop button rather than turning a key. Key in ignition, safe, secure out the way. Fob is placed in to small area were the rubbish/ash tray would be, lossing this facility, and making you buy a little waste bin. Rear reverse sensor is now Old hat as rear veiw cameras are cheap.

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Speedhuntermattgt86 Speedhuntermattgt86 wrote:

Ohhh where can I get one

Amber Performance

Posted By: Nelix
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:21pm
I simply keep the fob in my pocket. No need to ever bring it out.

Posted By: anixie
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:47pm
That small area is rubbish for putting your key in. My fat fingers have issues getting the key out again   :)  They do stay in my pocket too.

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 6:51pm

Rear reverse sensor is now Old hat as rear veiw cameras are cheap.
Disagree.  A reverse sensor keeps you informed, e.g. of errant pedestrians walking behind the car, no matter where you are looking (e.g. in the side mirrors).  

Obviously, both sensors and camera is ideal, but sensors are easier to install than threading wires through the car and pulling the dash apart imho (otherwise I'd have installed a camera, tho' I don't really miss one).

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:02pm
Tony H, What I mean is: Toyota to fit the rear camera instead of the sensors, if you want 'reversing technology'

Posted By: anixie
Date Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:21am
The cabling boom for reverse camera is in place afaik.  

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
Now using the rev range up to 5k. How much running in before using the full range, 1.5k miles?

Posted By: GT86JP
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 2:32pm
TBH you dont even need to run it in with modern engines as they are done in production

-------------
Instagram @ JoshParkerr
http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/my-gt86-progress-thread_topic13218.html - My GT86 Progress Thread

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 4:01pm
Plan to sound proof rear of the car (boot done) next weekend. Also have ordered a replacement 4" speaker while I have the internal trim off. Will let you know how I get on.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:15am
Speaker update in other posts. I will do a full report on in members mods when the front speakers arrive. Slow delivery of new speakers ment they will be installed next week. Now have 2k on the clock, Just filled up with super unleaded for the first time. I seem to notice the power dip after 3,300 revs with this fuel, weird!

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by GT86JP GT86JP wrote:

TBH you dont even need to run it in with modern engines as they are done in production

Yea I've read that too. Apparently they just engineer in the "wear" they would experience while running in.

Posted By: spikyone
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:43pm

Now have 2k on the clock, Just filled up with super unleaded for the first time. I seem to notice the power dip after 3,300 revs with this fuel, weird!

Shocked  Should be super unleaded every time!  The engine management may still be compensating for the lesser fuel you've been using, and you'll now have a mixture of fuel in the tank.  Keep using the good stuff and you'll get the full performance back.

Originally posted by Nasher Nasher wrote:

Originally posted by GT86JP GT86JP wrote:

Yea I've read that too. Apparently they just engineer in the "wear" they would experience while running in.

Depends on the car, and it's not just about compensating for the wear in the design of the engine.  The GT86 definitely should be run in, it's a high performance engine (in terms of its output per litre it is high for a NA engine) and has been shown to perform better if properly run in.   The manual IIRC says <4k rpm for the first 1000 miles.  It also shouldn't be kept at a constant speed/load for prolonged periods, so doing 70mph up and down the motorway is not a good way to run it in.  In fairness, it's more fun doing it on twisty roads anyway Smile
There's an in-depth discussion on running-in  http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/engine-run-in_topic167.html - here .

Posted By: Steeps
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:49pm
Concerned about running engine in... but only fuels up with cheap stuff when the car wants Super.

You'll get better protection long term using a premium fuel and more power per gallon.

-------------
Cosworth Stage 1.3

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:23pm
If I am not using a limited rev range, no need for the super unleaded. Now the engine is bededed in a bit, Yes super unlraded when I can get if. True you can get slightly better mpg. My wifes i30 loves super unleaded, she is amazed at the increased mileage per tank- and so am I.Just strange the torque dip is more noticeable. Have got between 125-175k from my other cars, so I expect the 86 to breeze through 100k. Hell make that 150k. Talk from the dealer 'don't habe to run these in', I will take with a packet of Saxo.

Posted By: spikyone
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:56am
You realise that it's not just about better mpg? Our cars have a high compression engine. On regular unleaded, that causes knock, so the engine adjusts the timing which reduces power - it'll run like a bag of nails, in essence. (Edited to add, the loss of the torque dip could be because you've reduced the torque peaks)

Feel free to correct me someone, but I'm not aware of any Hyundai engine where super is necessary, particularly in the i30. It's most likely a placebo effect if your wife thinks there's a difference.

It's your train set of course, but I don't understand the logic of buying a comparatively expensive performance car and then taking away some of that performance by trying to save yourself a couple of quid on a tank of fuel (especially when the saving is diminished by worse mpg).

Posted By: Chris Bailey
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 9:58am
I use Shell V-power everytime I fill up, obviously if I'm stuck I'll stick some 97/98 octane in it, but only a small amount. The GT86 runs a lot nicer on V-power and I personally can feel the extra performance especially on the higher RPM's. Plus V-power also helps clean your engine and keeps it heathy. So it's a win win situation!

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:32am
Then again, there's Tesco Momentum:

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99 - https://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:32pm
My wife has noticed serious fuel consumtion beneifts on a long journey to and from her folks. Fills up there with standard fuel and gets back home with 1/4 of a tank (going by fuel gauge). Super unleaded, returns home and it reads just under half a tank. As mentioned using limited revs running in but now using more of the rev range super unleaded it is. With my other cars, supermarket fuel diesel and petrol, feels rougher. I try not to use if. Have not seen momentum fuel.will look out for it.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:07pm
Tried the momentum fuel, but I feel the V power maybe better. Very little fuel consumption difference compaired to stanfard 95 fuel. Maybe 1+ mpg. Finished the sound proofing, and it is now up to a standard which makes the 86 just OK. Up to 50mph fine. 60 mph OK and above that acceptable. Remember rhese are cruising speeds no just at the sped for a few minutes. Main thing, The noise of the engine in the torque dip was annoying, and I found myself short shifting. Withe the added sound proofing in the floor wells, I find I am not unconsciously short shifting and using the rev range more. Sound deadening sorted, audio sorted. Maybe torque dip next!

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:57pm
I actually find the Esso premium stuff best. Using that for a few weeks and the fuel pump chirp goes away completely as well (if you don't have this yet, you will). Back to V-power and it comes back.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:49pm
More sound proofing in the foot wells and behind the kick panels there has made a reduction to. Tyre noise. Have placed some thinsulate Insulation in the boot under the rear screen. Have sound deadening material left over. Only 2 small areas I can think of to put it (next weekend). Noise in cabin OK at 60. Can now travel at 70, with the Hifi on, and its OK Noise on phone app shows between 70.5 to 72db @70mph on smooth tarmac. Note Vaw passat 1.6 deisel estate recorded 69.5db on same app. That was a quite car, but gutless engine.

Posted By: BRZ
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:12am
I must try esso out then. My chirping noise started when I used BP Ultimate once for lack of a Shell pump. For the next fill I moved to v power but it persists. I believe only shell and Tesco have 99 RON and our car sticker says 98 or higher. Not sure if fuel is to blame but no harm in trying Esso to see if it benefits.
Originally posted by Nasher Nasher wrote:

I actually find the Esso p
remium stuff best. Using that for a few weeks and the fuel pump chirp goes away completely as well (if you don't have this yet, you will). Back to V-power and it comes back.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 10:26pm
Tuning Developements N/A EL kit fitted. Drove back over 200 miles, with all the sound proofing in odd experiance. Audio fine, but slightly deeper sound if anything in the cabin. If I am honest, for motorway driving, same mpg or very slighty better. Will confirm in a months or so time. Current mileage on V power before low level warning light comming on 365-370 miles, mostly motorway driving. TD manifold 'upgrade' makes the 3000-4500 rev range 'useable' for every day driving. A slightly deeper/louder exhaust note, With the OEM system.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net