FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Paying for an Extended Warranty?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Amrano View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
Got both for £500 via RRG Huddersfield Oct 2016! Bit their hand off..
Sponsored Links

Matthias Sammer View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Sammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:21pm
My warranty runs out at the weekend, and my local dealer has offerred me the following for £495:

2 years warranty
Free Toyota Roadside Assistance (worth £72/year)
Free MOTs (worth £55/year)

So that is £254 worth of freebies (arguably I could pay less for them elsewhere),  so that is basically £241 for 2 years' warranty.

My 2012 car on 43k just had a service + MOT, with the only advisories being the tyres being tyres i.e. it's in good condition.

I tend to have enough savings for repairs but this sounds like a good deal on paper. What do you think?

Amrano View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:46pm
Good deal. Especially if mechanicals get problematic.
spikyone View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spikyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Amrano Amrano wrote:

Good deal. Especially if mechanicals get problematic.

If mechanicals get problematic after 5 years, it's unlikely to be a warranty issue.  You need to remember that warranties don't cover "anything that fails", only things that weren't designed or manufactured correctly in the first place.  Warranty issues most commonly arise during the very early life of a product.  If a car is already 5 years old without any problems, it's at significantly lower risk of a warranty-claimable issue than a brand new car.

For that reason I'm sceptical about extended warranties.  If you have recurring issues that have previously been fixed under warranty (the infamous coil pack issue) then it will be worthwhile.  For most people it will be a waste of money.

I don't know what the roadside assistance covers, but £72/year is pricey.  You can get a fairly high level of cover through a cashback website for that sort of money, with all of the main providers,
Grey MY16
Tuning Developments NA kit & catback; MTEC shift springs; Powerflex gearbox insert; Tapturn indicator relay; BRZ tS binnacle & dash; TRD style spoiler; Grazio tail lights; TE37SL
Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:01pm
It doesn't seem to cover a lot of things which the standard warranty does. Also I think you have to use Toyota for servicing otherwise they can void it (which they aren't allowed to do within the normal warranty period). As well as keep the car completely stock.

We don't get good deals on extended warranties here. Not like the US where you can have a "bumper to bumper" one which covers everything. It's not really worth it unless you drive something which will go wrong constantly, like a Range Rover Wacko

Edited by Nasher - 16 May 2018 at 1:07pm
Amrano View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:32pm
True. I’ve read the terms only thing not covered apart from consumables is rust!. Still far better than other third parties warranty.
Matthias Sammer View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Sammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by spikyone spikyone wrote:

[QUOTE=Amrano]

I don't know what the roadside assistance covers, but £72/year is pricey.  You can get a fairly high level of cover through a cashback website for that sort of money, with all of the main providers,

I know, but it's advertised as equivalent to the AA's top package, including recovery, homestart, european cover, etc.

I've always had Autoaid in the past.
NJay View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:48pm
Yep I have tried several times over the years to get AA to price match what AA provide under the Toyota breakdown cover (everything including European cover) Even with as much discounting as the agent could wrangle out of the system it was still more than £72.
spikyone View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spikyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by NJay NJay wrote:

Yep I have tried several times over the years to get AA to price match what AA provide under the Toyota breakdown cover (everything including European cover) Even with as much discounting as the agent could wrangle out of the system it was still more than £72.

Just for fun I put my details into Green Flag.  £78.40 including Euro cover.  Car cover, rather than personal, but I presume that's what Toyota offer.  £14 rebate through Topcashback would be £64.  And how many people need European cover anyway?  If you're travelling for 2 weeks or less, is it worth it?

Like the warranty itself, it all comes down to risk vs. cost.  Ask yourself how much you've spent and how much you've needed the service.  Tempting fate but in over ten years of driving I have never needed a breakdown service - and my first car was a ~20 year old Peugeot.  I don't even bother with breakdown cover.   I'm willing to put up with the slim chance of being stuck somewhere and having to fork out for on-the-spot membership, rather than spend £100s on something that I may never need.
Grey MY16
Tuning Developments NA kit & catback; MTEC shift springs; Powerflex gearbox insert; Tapturn indicator relay; BRZ tS binnacle & dash; TRD style spoiler; Grazio tail lights; TE37SL
Philip View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by spikyone spikyone wrote:

And how many people need European cover anyway?  If you're travelling for 2 weeks or less, is it worth it?

My Z4M Roadster broke down while I was at Le Mans a few years ago Luckily I had taken out Green Flag European cover.

They transported the car to the nearest BMW dealership,who found that the broken part (a high pressure power steering hose) was on back order from BMW in Munich. Green Flag paid for a hire car for the remainder of our holiday in France, and then another hire car on the UK side to get home from the ferry port. They also (safely!) transported the Z4M to my local BMW dealers in the UK (for them to fix it when the part became available again).

Green Flag also provided an English-speaking helpdesk, and were happy to act as translator between me and the dealerships, hire car companies, etc. And all for the price of a tank of petrol.

As for extended warranty, I pay well over £1000 a year for my M3, so under £500 for 2 years on the GT86 makes it a no brainer for me when the factory warranty expires, especially as it includes two years breakdown cover and MoTs.
Philip
2013 GT86 - Burnt Orange
2008 IS 250 SE-L - Caspian Sky
2012 E93 M3 - Jerez Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic