FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Limited slip differential oil change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stiofana View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiofana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limited slip differential oil change
    Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:33pm
How often is everyone changing their limited slip differential oil ?
Sponsored Links

IrishRob View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:12pm
I go by the book and had it done with the 20,000 mile service.
growlerkat View Drop Down
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote growlerkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:40pm
^^^^^This^^^^^
Steeps View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:08pm
It's part of the "full" Toyota service every 20k miles, make sure the dealer does it as not all of them are capable of reading correctly.
Cosworth Stage 1.3
Stiofana View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiofana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:47am
I don't think mine was changed at 20,000 service. I am not due another service until April which will take me to around 35k. Is this something that has to be changed on time or can it wait until the next service ?
church View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote church Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:24am
Was there any printout what was performed at previous service?
Anyway, if it's not known it was done, i'd 1) change it. better safe then sorry. It may not fail, but it may reduce total mileage of diff due bad lubrication. If you plan to keep car/drive long enough probably you care about things like that too. 2) consider being extra anal all the future service visits to this dealer and inquire on all work done (or not done) in details. And ask, for what real reasons they are no doing their duty when ought to by procedures of vendor they are supposed to be dealer of.
P.S.
In case if you track your car too, i'd probably cut in half all oil (not just diff's) change intervals too.
BRZ View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 6:55am
Stiofana, I think you should not be worried. The BRZ manual recommends a change every 40K/4yrs, under normal driving. If you track it, then a severe schedule applies, which is 20K. Cheers!
Stiofana View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiofana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Thanks for all your helps !! Appreciate it
Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:39pm
Some manufacturers don't seem to change it ever and I think some of them may even be permanently sealed units. So I don't think it's anything to worry about to much. Same with the gearbox.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic