FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Hostile towards the GT86?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Sammy View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:56am
I do actually already have a dash camera because of such incidents, unfortunately it’s only a front facing one. Might invest in one for the back too.

The fact it’s bedford probably explains a lot too!

Thanks for the kind words, you’ve all lifted me up as I was feeling a bit down as a result of it all.
Sponsored Links

Moves With Clouds View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moves With Clouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:36am
My car is dark grey and usually dirty and one reason for that is not to draw too much attention. It's not just the car, but make it bright and shiny and it will trigger the wrong people more. But then I didn't buy the car for the looks and I don't want the attention. Others do. So there is a bit of freedom to choose your tradeoff.
Just keep it pointed in the general direction you want to go
anixie View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:43am
It is funny that about everybody will try to race you at the red lights probably. Fun to see how somebody in his lukewarm hatch revs the heck out of his car to be faster than you. Even more fun when you dont react (I never do, I do leave that childishness to when I am driving my Volvo...)
Be proud, you own a sweet car .
Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:03am
I live in the Bedford area as well and not had any negativity yet. But the car does attract attention sometimes as there aren't many around. Non-petrolheads often don't know what it is and I've even had people taking photos before.

Being super clean and shiny definitely makes it worse though :D

Weirdly I don't get much attention from boy racers. Maybe it's just my face.

Edited by Nasher - 13 Feb 2018 at 9:13am
Subota Boy View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subota Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:25am
Hello Sammy.

£30 bought me a rear facing dash cam to add to the front one.  A great investment I feel and nobody tailgates me anymore.
Toyotas C-HR, IQ, and black GT86 modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler and Valenti rear lights.
BRZ View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Subota Boy Subota Boy wrote:

Hello Sammy.

£30 bought me a rear facing dash cam to add to the front one.  A great investment I feel and nobody tailgates me anymore.
Hi Subota boy,
Which one is it - Nextbase? and how does it fit? i.e. rear glass or looks back from front rear view mirror? and if rear glass, how do you wire it in? Lots of questions but will benefit us Smile
Cheers
Carl View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:04pm
I work in Bedford and not had any negativity towards me really.
I have had a few tailgaters, but I just slow down more and more until they back off.
People do cut me off from being in the wrong lane on roundabouts, but that happenes in whatever car I drive.

I also need to get a rear dashcam.

Enut View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:32pm
I find that making it very obvious that you are aware they are there, by putting your hand up to the interior mirror (as if adjusting a rear dash cam for example), often makes them back off. If they are sitting there with main beams on, or just poorly adjusted headlights, then again adjusting the interior mirror can result in them being dazzled by their own headlights, which is a nice bonus.

I would love to fit one of the police type signs in my back window so I could ping up the message 'DO YOU WANT A TOW?' But I think they may be illegal.
White GT86 Aero
Sammy View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:37pm
Well, I was blessed with the talent of being able to left-foot brake, so if someone is really close to me on the Motorway, I have a habit of maintaining to throttle and subsequent speed with my right foot and applying just enough pressure on the left foot simultaneously to show the brake lights.

That tends to incite a bit of a panic and they then usually respect my space.

I have also thought about such sign! But alas, I think anything made to resemble a police car will get even more poor attention!
MattGT View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:58pm
Can't understand how it would be age related jealousy. I mean unless these individuals get a good look at you they aren't going to know whose driving. I know a few lads who own some nice metal (GTR and M4 for example) and look even younger than they are (20-23) and none of them have experienced anything like this. I had my 200SX when I was 18 and VX220 when I was 20 and never experienced this either.

There is definitely a difference in attitude where you drive geographically though. The further north you go the better from my experience. My girlfriends family live in Yorkshire, its always a pleasure to drive up there, you soon find all the d*ckheads trying to occupy the same bit of tarmac you are on by the time you hit the M25.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic