FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Hi from Cornwall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DK4 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DK4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Cornwall
    Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
Hey Everyone,

Figured it was time to say hi after lurking on here for many many months. Have wanted an 86 from the days when they first came out but ended up in a string of Type Rs (EP3, FN2 and 3 x DC5s). Loved those cars but have always loved the ethos behind the 86. I have taken two test drives now and know it's the one. Just waiting for the right white (or maybe black) one to pop up.

I do have a quick question for anyone that may be able to help. I'm a super keen surfer and although I have another car to use, this may have to be used occasionally. I just wondered if anyone had a measurement from the back of the drivers seat at a normal distance from the wheel (I'm 6'1 if that helps) to the back of the boot with the seats flat? I'm trying to work out if my surfboards (6'0) will fit?!

Sorry for the ramble. Look forward to meeting people at meets/trackdays and as always reading the inspiring builds on here!

Cheers

Dan
Sponsored Links

James- View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:00am
I very much doubt it... however you could always attach the board to the roof.... you'd look pretty stupid but hey ho
DK4 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DK4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:18am
Damn...I had heard somewhere that it was possible...potentially if you get the nose of the board in between the two seats it should fit, but I didn't think the dealership would let me try that haha.

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll keep hoping!
Harry G View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:53am
GeekA warm welcome Dan!

I think with the passenger seat full forward and if you angle the board correctly, i.e. diagonal a bit and rest an end on the passenger seat back fully down and suitably protected, you may get away with it.
They don't make 'em like they used to! Thank goodness
growlerkat View Drop Down
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote growlerkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:16am
Welcome to the club Dan! I have just had a quick measure up,back seats down & drivers seat right back ( guessing at 6ft 1 that is where it would be) and it's 58 inches, so I reckon you could just about do it if you had the seat forward abit EDIT   Sorry,just re-read your post,surfboard 72 inches,boot length 58 inches = not going to fit

Edited by growlerkat - 18 Jun 2017 at 10:22am
DK4 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DK4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by growlerkat growlerkat wrote:

Welcome to the club Dan! I have just had a quick measure up,back seats down & drivers seat right back ( guessing at 6ft 1 that is where it would be) and it's 58 inches, so I reckon you could just about do it if you had the seat forward abit EDIT   Sorry,just re-read your post,surfboard 72 inches,boot length 58 inches = not going to fit

Thanks so much for measuring that for me. It's a huge help as I now know it's exactly the same as our other car which I use for surfing so if I have to use it I know it's possible. I've also got a soft rack but it's always quicker to just put it in the back! Now that's sorted I can only hope one pops up soon that ticks all the boxes. Can't wait to get an 86! Thanks for all your help and look forward to asking you all for advice in the future :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic