FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Gaillo edition flat battery problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spoony View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaillo edition flat battery problem
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 11:27pm
I have recently purchased a lovely yellow edition GT86 2016 plate with 1000 miles on the clock. The car was off the road for two years on a SORN. I've heard that due to poorly installed heated seat wiring the battery is under load even when the car is not being driven. If the car is left standing for more than a few days the battery is flat. Has anybody else had this problem?. Is there a fix to correct the alleged heated seat wiring issue. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Steeps View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:01am
The problem is the batteries, once they are flat a couple of times that's it, can't be recovered and will die far sooner between use, especially during winter. The 47ah ones are replaced with 65ah ones under warranty but even those can go flat if not driven for a month. I'd get the dealer to swap out the battery first, it might run fine for you after that depending on usage. It's a well known issue that the batteries can fail but it's usually the alarm system being a drain on the system.
Cosworth Stage 1.3
Spoony View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:48am
Thanks I will get this looked at.
Sammca View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:09am
Spoony have the dealer check the wiring for the seats, as there have been cases of it being directly wired into the power steering loom with the seats in the Giallo, I had mine completely replaced with a toyota system (The seats and their heating in the giallo are built by a third party.)

Other than that ask for the battery upgrade, My Giallo is my daily, but i left it sat for a week in feb and didn't have any issues then.
bassett View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 7:20pm
I don't think anyone has seen a definitive answer on here but if you have a Panasonic battery these are usually upgraded to a 65ah Toyota or other variety battery.

I hadn't heard of this issue about the seats but a good technician or road side assistance should check if there is a current drawn whilst the car is switched off as other than the alarm everything should be off.

I thought all heated seats if leather/ alcantara were fitted at the docks possibly by a company called transcal. When my heated seat broke Toyota didn't even know what part it was as they didn't recognise it and I've had this car from new and mines a non giallo.
GT86 Starlight Blue MT
Seat Leon Cupra TDI 150
MNR Vortx
Sammca View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:17am
I was under the impression it was just the full leather seats at the dock, e.g. giallo and aero editions with diamond stitching, but I could be wrong.

And yes I believe it is done by Transcal, but according to Toyota their contract with them has ended, and they can't source repairs with them. Which is why mine was replaced with entirely Toyota parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic