FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Flaking Respray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jw191 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flaking Respray
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:03pm
Hi guys, interested in a second opinion. I has the front passenger side of the front bumper resprayed by a body shop 13mths ago. Today when I washed the car I noticed the clear-coat / lacquer has started to flake off.

I used a pressure washer as I always have, not getting too close to paintwork.

I’m not sure whether to conclude the job wasn’t done well (poor prep / poor application / poor quality materials) or if I should expect this to happen to resprayed panels. A previous car had an much more extensive respray and I didn’t encounter such issues.

Avoinding this type of issues is why I spent over £200 at a body shop and not a third that on a mobile smart repair.

I will talk to the body shop, but would like some second opinions before I do.

Pic in next post, cheers.
16' Black, Leather, Custom Audio Install, Nav, Heated Seats,
Sponsored Links

jw191 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:04pm

sam534 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam534 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:26pm
Yup, that's a poor job, take it back, the bodywork I tend to use offer lifetime warranty on paintwork failures like this.
Standard black beauty GT86 - Leather + Nav
IrishRob View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm
Most reputable places are pretty good at sorting out things like this. They should be offering to redo it.
jw191 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 4:09pm
Ok cheers guys, will let you know how it goes.
GT86-Bob View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT86-Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:57pm
That's a coincidence. Last week I noticed the lacquer had come off my front bumper. I took it to my Toyota dealer who said that although it is still under warranty it is not covered. Paint is but not lacquer. They also said that maybe the bumper had been resprayed before I bought it. I think that what caused mine to lift was pressure washing it.
Blogging here - Beambreaking and here GiftsForPetrolheads when I'm not driving.
Mart86 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mart86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:54am
I've had this happen on a previous car and looked exactly the same. It did have a fair amount of stone chips and I think the jet just got underneath and lifted the lacquer. When I took it to a paint shop for a respray they said it wasn't the original paint and had previously been resprayed. I'd had it 4 years at this point so while annoyed it had happened it could have done with a freshen up anyway. Definitely not a good job if it's failed after a year.
jw191 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 3:50pm
Bodyshop have agreed to sort

Got to find a convenient time to be without a car for 2 days though.
Dan82 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:37pm
Good result
jw191 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 4:30pm
Doh. They won’t be able to sort it till after Japfest!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic