FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Exhausts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gt86jack View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gt86jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhausts
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:52pm
Hi all I have recently purchased myself a black aero spec gt86 and was after some recommendations on an exhaust, I don’t really want anything over the top as the police already aren’t my biggest fans from my previous cars 😉 I’m Just after something with a nice burble to it really. Iv already watch a few YouTube videos and they all sound mental loud 😂 so just after some first hand opinions really. Thanks
Sponsored Links

sazabiskythe View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sazabiskythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:47am
I have a Cobra resonated catback system. It is loud during cold start but once warmed up on idle it is fine. I wouldn't call it over the top but it's a decent step up from the stock system, and you'll notice it across the rev range. I have plugged the sound generator and there is no motorway drone at high speeds. Worth considering that if you plan to add manifold and/or decat 2nd pipe this will also make your car louder.
TheCaptain View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:38pm
I second the cobra resonated catback. Was using it for ages. Sounds awesome on a start up and once the revs are high but doesn't give off that obnoxiously loud when driving around.

I've recently had a borla uel manifold installed too and that's probably pushing the limits for too loud. Sound so good though. One of my mates goes it sounds similar to an amg merc since it has a pretty aggressive burble to it now

Edited by TheCaptain - 07 Dec 2017 at 1:31pm
Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:44pm
Or just change the manifold to a UEL one keep the rest the same.
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:32pm
Meant to say borla uel manifold not catback. My bad.
Steeps View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:37pm
Best thing to do would be to attend a meet or 3 and have a listen to stock vs what other people have done with their cars  :)

A youtube video really doesn't give you a clear picture of how loud the car will be with the tone in the clip.
Cosworth Stage 1.3
sazabiskythe View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sazabiskythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I second the cobra resonated catback. Was using it for ages. Sounds awesome on a start up and once the revs are high but doesn't give off that obnoxiously loud when driving around.

I've recently had a borla uel manifold installed too and that's probably pushing the limits for too loud. Sound so good though. One of my mates goes it sounds similar to an amg merc since it has a pretty aggressive burble to it now

Do you use the stock overpipe and front pipe with that? Have you had a remap after installing the borla manifold? I'm also keen to go down that route :)
H8R is the best colour
MattGT View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:25pm
Absolutely minefield. There are so many exhausts available. First off how much of the exhaust system do you want to change? As that may help narrow down the recommendations pretty quickly as this car gets real LOUD. For example if you want to change the manifold and front pipe then you basically have 3 or 4 to choose from to keep the noise levels down.

Avoid Milltek as they garbage. Fortunately it seems people have actually stopped recommending these now.

Gt86jack View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gt86jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:40pm
Just want to start with 2nd cat back for now I think. I probably will end up doing the manifold in the future tho 😂
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by sazabiskythe sazabiskythe wrote:

Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

Do you use the stock overpipe and front pipe with that? Have you had a remap after installing the borla manifold? I'm also keen to go down that route :)

Yeah mate, still stock overpipe and front pipe, but I'm happy with my set up. I had it remapped by Mark at abbey motors. They done a fantastic job and the car is a lot more responsive now. The torque dip is still there, but flattened out significantly. I believe I've gotten about 10/15bhp and 20/25 torque increase. Car sounds fantastic and a lot more gutsy in the mid range. Definitely recommend it.

Plus the remap has given me launch control, flat floor shifting and other fun toys

I was considering getting the full exhaust system done but apparently I'd have to get it remapped so I'm probably going to leave it and spend the money on cosmetic stuff now as I'm pretty happy with performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic