FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Deposit down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Steeps View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:49pm
Concerned about running engine in... but only fuels up with cheap stuff when the car wants Super.

You'll get better protection long term using a premium fuel and more power per gallon.
Cosworth Stage 1.3
Sponsored Links

Mark E Mark View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark E Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:23pm
If I am not using a limited rev range, no need for the super unleaded. Now the engine is bededed in a bit, Yes super unlraded when I can get if. True you can get slightly better mpg. My wifes i30 loves super unleaded, she is amazed at the increased mileage per tank- and so am I.Just strange the torque dip is more noticeable. Have got between 125-175k from my other cars, so I expect the 86 to breeze through 100k. Hell make that 150k. Talk from the dealer 'don't habe to run these in', I will take with a packet of Saxo.
spikyone View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spikyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:56am
You realise that it's not just about better mpg? Our cars have a high compression engine. On regular unleaded, that causes knock, so the engine adjusts the timing which reduces power - it'll run like a bag of nails, in essence. (Edited to add, the loss of the torque dip could be because you've reduced the torque peaks)

Feel free to correct me someone, but I'm not aware of any Hyundai engine where super is necessary, particularly in the i30. It's most likely a placebo effect if your wife thinks there's a difference.

It's your train set of course, but I don't understand the logic of buying a comparatively expensive performance car and then taking away some of that performance by trying to save yourself a couple of quid on a tank of fuel (especially when the saving is diminished by worse mpg).
Chris Bailey View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 9:58am
I use Shell V-power everytime I fill up, obviously if I'm stuck I'll stick some 97/98 octane in it, but only a small amount. The GT86 runs a lot nicer on V-power and I personally can feel the extra performance especially on the higher RPM's. Plus V-power also helps clean your engine and keeps it heathy. So it's a win win situation!
Tony H View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:32am
Then again, there's Tesco Momentum:

GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark E Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:32pm
My wife has noticed serious fuel consumtion beneifts on a long journey to and from her folks. Fills up there with standard fuel and gets back home with 1/4 of a tank (going by fuel gauge). Super unleaded, returns home and it reads just under half a tank. As mentioned using limited revs running in but now using more of the rev range super unleaded it is. With my other cars, supermarket fuel diesel and petrol, feels rougher. I try not to use if. Have not seen momentum fuel.will look out for it.
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark E Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:07pm
Tried the momentum fuel, but I feel the V power maybe better. Very little fuel consumption difference compaired to stanfard 95 fuel. Maybe 1+ mpg. Finished the sound proofing, and it is now up to a standard which makes the 86 just OK. Up to 50mph fine. 60 mph OK and above that acceptable. Remember rhese are cruising speeds no just at the sped for a few minutes. Main thing, The noise of the engine in the torque dip was annoying, and I found myself short shifting. Withe the added sound proofing in the floor wells, I find I am not unconsciously short shifting and using the rev range more. Sound deadening sorted, audio sorted. Maybe torque dip next!
Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:57pm
I actually find the Esso premium stuff best. Using that for a few weeks and the fuel pump chirp goes away completely as well (if you don't have this yet, you will). Back to V-power and it comes back.
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark E Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:49pm
More sound proofing in the foot wells and behind the kick panels there has made a reduction to. Tyre noise. Have placed some thinsulate Insulation in the boot under the rear screen. Have sound deadening material left over. Only 2 small areas I can think of to put it (next weekend). Noise in cabin OK at 60. Can now travel at 70, with the Hifi on, and its OK Noise on phone app shows between 70.5 to 72db @70mph on smooth tarmac. Note Vaw passat 1.6 deisel estate recorded 69.5db on same app. That was a quite car, but gutless engine.
BRZ View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:12am
I must try esso out then. My chirping noise started when I used BP Ultimate once for lack of a Shell pump. For the next fill I moved to v power but it persists. I believe only shell and Tesco have 99 RON and our car sticker says 98 or higher. Not sure if fuel is to blame but no harm in trying Esso to see if it benefits.
Originally posted by Nasher Nasher wrote:

I actually find the Esso p
remium stuff best. Using that for a few weeks and the fuel pump chirp goes away completely as well (if you don't have this yet, you will). Back to V-power and it comes back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic