FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Cosworth UK Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 838485
Author
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by aspen8 aspen8 wrote:

I don’t want any unwanted attention or anyone trying to race me! The supercharger is purely for my enjoyment!

Dont you find everything wants to race you anyway? They assume you've got a "slow 200hp" anyway so think of the badges as a deterrent LOL

Side note. Ive done over 1k miles with the smaller pulley fitted and it hasnt gone pop yet. Thats with lots of 2-3k rpm wot 6th gear labouring for those of you who believe that low rpms kill rods. 

Achieved a pleasant 36mpg with cruise control set to 3k/73mph. That's with AD08R 235/40/18 I might add.

Bone stock car on primacies I got around 40mpg doing roughly the same journey 5 years ago. 
Ade's Road and Track Car Thread
Cosworth - AP Racing - Ohlins - Hayward & Scott
Sponsored Links

Dan82 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Ade Ade wrote:

Thats with lots of 2-3k rpm wot 6th gear labouring for those of you who believe that low rpms kill rods.

Isn't that more of a case for turbo cars where more torque is available low down compared to an sc which builds the torque in a less aggressive fashion?
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Dan82 Dan82 wrote:

Thats with lots of 2-3k rpm wot 6th gear labouring for those of you who believe that low rpms kill rods.

Isn't that more of a case for turbo cars where more torque is available low down compared to an sc which builds the torque in a less aggressive fashion?

True for oems where they use small turbos and fiddle fueling to get silly torque at 1500rpm like many BMWs. 

But for our car most kits have some lag, and use big turbos that dont product much till 3.5-4k then it comes on quite fast but I dont think the rate at which the torque comes in is the problem, after all poking the throttle has a similar effect. Its peak cylinder pressures that kill rods and you do get a bit in stress relieve as revs increase, due to inertia relief but from the data ive seem its not that significant. I know as many blown engines on centrifugal as I do turbo cars and centrifugals dont produce much at 2k either. 

Looking at a log I did recently you can see its making ~0.4 bar boost at 2k with a max of ~0.65 bar at 7k. Its surprisingly pokey even in 6th gear at 2k on the motorway. Its quite enjoyable on a long drive can you can leave cruise control on and relax.

AdamH View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:25am
Do you think there's a noticeable difference with the smaller pulley then? May have to give it a go!

I don’t want any unwanted attention or anyone trying to race me! The supercharger is purely for my enjoyment!

Dont you find everything wants to race you anyway? They assume you've got a "slow 200hp" anyway so think of the badges as a deterrent LOL

Side note. Ive done over 1k miles with the smaller pulley fitted and it hasnt gone pop yet. Thats with lots of 2-3k rpm wot 6th gear labouring for those of you who believe that low rpms kill rods. 

Achieved a pleasant 36mpg with cruise control set to 3k/73mph. That's with AD08R 235/40/18 I might add.

Bone stock car on primacies I got around 40mpg doing roughly the same journey 5 years ago. 
Dan82 View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:52am
I see what you mean ade.
I suppose it's also down to the mapping as regardless of fi type, IF you were to get pre ignition with hotter iats which were down to a bad map then that would be the damaging factor?
Subota Boy View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subota Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:54am
Thinking about the pulley also.  Does the map need a tweak, or is there enough adjustment?
Toyotas C-HR, IQ, and black GT86 modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler and Valenti rear lights.
Matt@Cosworth View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt@Cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:05pm
It should run OK, but as always I'm happy to tweak if required
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Dan82 Dan82 wrote:

I see what you mean ade.
I suppose it's also down to the mapping as regardless of fi type, IF you were to get pre ignition with hotter iats which were down to a bad map then that would be the damaging factor?

Yes a bad map is never a good idea. The ECU is pretty quick to pull timing if it sees significant knock.

I think Matt said it starts reacting at about 3bar of pre-ignition, if you consider cylinder pressure is about 115bar at full chat it not going to cause an issue unless the map is serious messed up. 

The cossy map has adjustment factors for IATs depending on ambient temp and/or if there a cooling problem ect. 

Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by AdamH AdamH wrote:

Do you think there's a noticeable difference with the smaller pulley then? May have to give it a go!

Well I fitted a Decat front pipe and never got round to loading a new map with more timing. So I fitted the pulley and the new map and it felt significant. Looking at airlflow comparisons I gained around 20hp. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 838485
  Share Topic