FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Cosworth UK Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 656667
Author
Kodename47 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
DJ Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodename47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by 86er 86er wrote:

Regarding the intake temperatures discussion I did logs at 30ºc ambient and intake went up to around 52ºc on pulls and stabled at around 45ºc cruising. This sounds normal but are intakes in excess of 50ºc ok on the engine?....

Still looking for a better solution to reducce intake temps.

There is nothing wrong with intake temps like that, what do you think happens to people who live in hotter countries? There's not much you can do unless you find a way to improve the charge cooling such as a better coolant mix etc. There are compensations that use air temp so make adjustments if required.

.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Litchfield Springs / Abbey MS Geo
Sponsored Links

Matt@Cosworth View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt@Cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:48pm
there are compensations in the tune to pull the spark back with hot IAT's so it all remains safe

however I'd say something is still amiss with the cooling system as in day  to day use engine IAT should be about 7 to 10 degrees over ambient and this can rise to +15 to 20 with extended track day use or multiple dyno pulls

I'd check that the small bleed hose that runs from the top of the IC rad isn't blocked, does the IC rad feel hot all over? ( best way to check is with a thermal IR 'gun' that you can shine through the grill.)
is the air flow path to the IC rad blocked in any way ( have you a big oil cooler in front of it?)

are your hoses fitted correctly as the cool water should flow towards the hot air so  from the pump to the outer hose connections on the IC bricks
are any of the hoses kinked or squashed?
most effective cooling is with 25% glycol to water 
in theory 'water wetter' additive should also help but I've yet to try this

and finally is it bled properly? what can help is undoing the reservoir clamp and lifting the reservoir up whilst running the pump there's enough slack in the hose to raise it a  few inches which helps any bubbles find their way out

regarding the small pulley on an auto I'd imagine it might be a bit borderline as I know special K had all sorts of issues going over 300bhp

and no changes to the engine are 'required' however we would recommend changing the rods to a steel type to ensure longevity and keeping a safe margin for long term use

however plenty of folks run the stock bottom end harder than we do 
its your decision
the stock kit runs to the cosworth established limit  of cylinder pressure with tiny bit of headroom
this smaller pulley uses up that headroom  and 'just' exceeds the safe limit 

so its your decision
( note I said that twice)
86er View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:15pm
As always thank you Matt for the Helpfull reply.

Usually my temps are about 12ºc over ambient on everyday driving. I did get those plus 20ºc on the logging process for my stage 2.3 fine tunning probably due to hard revs in between slow driving.
Its usually 30ºc here in the summer so its good advice to check the hoses again.
The bleeding part I understand has to do with that water pump noise so ill check that also.
Summer temps don´t help but although I don´t track my auto 86 I do ccasionally drift it for short sessions and am very tempted to try that pulley if you can help with a moderate tune as its an auto.
Im currently at 265 flywheel HP and don´t intend to pass 300 but 290 sounds just about right.
When and where will this pulley be available?
I must have a word with special K before deciding on this of course.
Anyone got his contact?

Cheers
88er
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:48am

Anyone got his contact?

He's on the other forum.

86er View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 2:07pm
Hi Ade,

thank you for the reply. Did you help Special K with his car?
I havn´t spoken with him yet about this.

I realise he had transmission issues inicially due to his turbo instllation but after installing the HKS supercharger things were smoother. I have the Cossie Superchargedr which has a much smoother torque delivery than a turbo on my auto 86.

Do you have any comments on that smaller pulley on an auto Cossie stage 2.3 if we can keep it between 290 and 300 Flywheel HP?

thanks again,

Cheers,
86er
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 4:28pm

Hi Ade,

thank you for the reply. Did you help Special K with his car?
I havn´t spoken with him yet about this.

I realise he had transmission issues inicially due to his turbo instllation but after installing the HKS supercharger things were smoother. I have the Cossie Superchargedr which has a much smoother torque delivery than a turbo on my auto 86.

Do you have any comments on that smaller pulley on an auto Cossie stage 2.3 if we can keep it between 290 and 300 Flywheel HP?

thanks again,

Cheers,
86er

tbh for the tiny gain that you will struggle to feel in the real world you might as well stay on the safe side of the rods. 

Its the power that ultimately generates the heat and warps the paddles on the auto box. I doubt the cossy kit at 300hp vs the AVO turbo at 300hp will be any different on the auto box. 
86er View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:27am
Hi gents,

Thanks Ade for the sound advice. For this reason alone I regret having gone the auto route. looks pretty much the end of the line for my build.
The auto 86 is still a blast at stage 2.3 and I hope to enjoy it many years to come.

Will chat with special K and im sure he will say the same.

Best regards,

86er
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 656667
  Share Topic