FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Corrosion / Oxidation on seat bolts (?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cts View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corrosion / Oxidation on seat bolts (?)
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:14pm
Photo (not the best!) below showing what I assume is corrosion / oxidation on one of the front seat bolts, also have similar on the two for the back seats.  Sorry it's not the best pic - it actually makes it look far worse than it is, but there's something.  Have others seen this too?  Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Lou_m View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lou_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:45pm
Mine look worse. Not bothered about it though.
Dcourt View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:22am
Mine are the same. It's on the list for replacement
cts View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:58pm
Thanks both for confirming I'm not the only one.

Originally posted by Dcourt Dcourt wrote:

Mine are the same. It's on the list for replacement

Are you just replacing the bolts or just clean up and paint the current ones?  Do you know if they're all the same size, or have a part number?
scoobyc View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scoobyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm
Every subaru I've had back to 1999 has had this to some degree or another - "they all do that sir!" :)
paulca View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Resident Old Fart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm
Seriously?
From between thy hedges thou shalt not stray.
Delta7 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:30am
yes my 2008 wrx hatch was far worse, just coated it with black smooth  hammerite
MattGT View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:29pm
For those who intend to replace the bolts they will only end up looking the same again. Looks like Galvanic corrosion to me, the only way to avoid it is to change the type of the material the bolt is made from.

Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 5:25pm
Isn't this caused by aluminium being in contact with steel? You would think a car manufacturer would understand the basics. Subaru seem to use crappy bolts all over the place :P
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic