FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Cars with keyless entry getting stolen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Galaxian View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galaxian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cars with keyless entry getting stolen
    Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:34pm
Car theft near me has gone through the roof recently, mainly luxury german cars but I've just seen cctv footage of thieves using a signal booster standing by a person's front door to get the signal off the key fob apparently. The thieves in this video were able to open the car and drive off without the keys! Shocked

So, can the same be done with our cars or does the thatcham immobilizer stop this? Any ideas?  I'm not too concerned cos it's mainly luxury cars but it's still a worryAngry
Grey GT86, MT, Alcantara, SatNav, reversing sensors, HKS filter and uel manifold, avo overpipe , Berk HFC, Miltek res exhaust, Perrin intake, Fensport ECUTek tune
Sponsored Links

Steeps View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:38pm
Would have to be a very powerful signal booster because sometimes my car fails to pick up the key to start if it's in the wrong pocket.
Cosworth Stage 1.3
growlerkat View Drop Down
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote growlerkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:55pm
I keep both sets of keys in a tin - just in case!!
Gavin_T View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavin_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:14pm
This was on BBC this morning just as I was leaving for work. Apparently keeping keys in the fridge is the top tip
Gray View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:07pm
I am sure this came up on the forum ages ago when it was on TV and it does seem to be very common. Someone suggested these pouches https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QIEX04K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (you get 3 for £9.99) and as long as you put the key in the rear slot not the front they work a treat. Cant even open the car with the pouch held to the car.
Mature chap with a red GT86 - Never too old to have fun.
amcluesent View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcluesent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:08pm
Unless the GT86 is in the locked garage, I keep the keyfob in an RFID pouch and also when it's parked-up outside a bar/restaurant etc. The RFID pouches are available on Amazon
Toybaru1 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toybaru1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by growlerkat growlerkat wrote:

I keep both sets of keys in a tin - just in case!!

Put mine in a tin that's lined with foil, heard this works. Walked up to the car with said tin with key inside, opened door and started the engine! So from that deduced it doesn't work!
growlerkat View Drop Down
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote growlerkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:56pm
Oh dear,the fridge it is then! As long as I don't try to open the car with the semi-skimmed
Philip View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:47pm
Hmm - not sure what the best answer is, but taking a cold key out of a fridge into a room temperature environment is going to cause condensation to form on the key fob, and over time that isn't going to do the electronics any good.
Philip
2013 GT86 - Burnt Orange
2008 IS 250 SE-L - Caspian Sky
2012 E93 M3 - Jerez Black
Gavin_T View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavin_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:51pm
End of the day if you are concerned an old fashioned steering wheel lock would be enough to put them off I would think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic