FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Bringing an 86 back from the dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:54am
Good stuff Sam, ive been following you progress like many others. 

Some people dont have to be an engineer or trained technician to work on cars and I think you prove that. If you are handy with a spanner, have a bit of common sense and take your time and do the research, building the complete car is not that difficult. 

Do you reckon you might rebuild the 86 engine are some point or is it staying na/lightly boosted? 

I fancy buying a second engine and building it at some point when there is a reliable trackday solution to the gearbox issue at around 330-350hp. 
Ade's Road and Track Car Thread
Cosworth - AP Racing - Ohlins - Hayward & Scott
Sponsored Links

Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Ade Ade wrote:

Some people dont have to be an engineer or trained technician to work on cars and I think you prove that. If you are handy with a spanner, have a bit of common sense and take your time and do the research, building the complete car is not that difficult. 

Do you reckon you might rebuild the 86 engine are some point or is it staying na/lightly boosted? 

I fancy buying a second engine and building it at some point when there is a reliable trackday solution to the gearbox issue at around 330-350hp. 

Not too sure yet.
If i had a long term plan to lay down off the top of my head it would be doing a few body/wheel/suspension related things (not to everyone's tastes) next year and then the year after that looking in to doing an engine swap but I don't want to set all that in stone and look like a fool if things fall through.

A bit controversial to some people i'm sure but I don't mind keeping the car NA for a while, as far as power goes Turbos are my weapon of choice by far but I feel that boosting the FA20 is a bit expensive for the outcome you get as i'd also want to build the engine at the same time and a big part of me wants to have more than 4 cylinders for once.

I think my main goal for this car is something more akin to a fast road car than a focused track car although I feel it could go any way really without feeling too guilty about it considering the car's history. Big smile

Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Nails View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:35am
Engine swap sounds interesting, what engine(s) did you have in mind?
2016 Red Aero
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:01pm
There are a few options but the one i'd have my eyes set on would be the 1uz or 3uzfe engines from Toyota/Lexus.

I'd love to put a bigger Subaru engine in but there aren't any realistic options so a bigger Toyota engine makes the next best sense to me.

The UZ engine series are v8's and known to be one of the best sounding ones at that. They have Aluminium blocks which keeps them very light (almost 100kg lighter than a 2jz!) and they are fairly cheap as they can easily be picked up for £500-£1500, the biggest hurdle is gearboxes but there's a solution to everything.

There's also the 2gr V6 engine or even one of Nissan's VQ series engines but when given the choice of V8 or V6 im swaying towards V8 LOL and I'm not a fan of the 2jz due to the weight, height and overhype they get. It's just not the right engine for the GT86 in my opinion Smile
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Nails View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:06pm
Sounds really cool Sam, if you can get a v6 or v8 in, I think that would be a great story, and also something that could catch on as the cars get older. 

I remember back in the day people used to stick V6's from the Toyota Camry into the MR2!  
2016 Red Aero
Kodename47 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
DJ Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodename47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:55pm
If mine ever goes pop then I'll be looking at the VQ35 I reckon. A bit pricey compared to the Toyota V8 but more power out of the box which evens up the costs a bit.
.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Litchfield Springs / Abbey MS Geo
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:49pm
Yeah if i were to go for the VQ35 I think i'd try and source one with the CD009 gearbox from the later 350's that way you got a great engine with a bulletproof gearbox that just work together straight out of the box.
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Samwise Samwise wrote:

Originally posted by Ade Ade wrote:

Not too sure yet.
If i had a long term plan to lay down off the top of my head it would be doing a few body/wheel/suspension related things (not to everyone's tastes) next year and then the year after that looking in to doing an engine swap but I don't want to set all that in stone and look like a fool if things fall through.

A bit controversial to some people i'm sure but I don't mind keeping the car NA for a while, as far as power goes Turbos are my weapon of choice by far but I feel that boosting the FA20 is a bit expensive for the outcome you get as i'd also want to build the engine at the same time and a big part of me wants to have more than 4 cylinders for once.

I think my main goal for this car is something more akin to a fast road car than a focused track car although I feel it could go any way really without feeling too guilty about it considering the car's history. Big smile

At the rate your working now I suspect if you went for a V8 swap it wouldn't be that long before its in and running! 

You seem level headed enough not to strip it and put it on a spit roaster! 
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:11am
Building an engine is a good option too, but it seems a lot of build engine have reliability problems. The fact you can build the engine yourself makes it a fair bit cheaper though.

If only Cosworth released their bottom end Cry

Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:16am
LOL No I don't plan anything like that, I'm not looking for a competition spec car or anything too hardcore in that it's not easy to live with on the road, at least at first.
Hoping to get the car back in one piece before JAE this year so I can take it to that and then I will likely take it off the road again early next year to begin my next phase of the plans.

When me and my dad rebuilt the engine on the VX we took so long with it mainly due to other commitments in life as well as money that the car was off the road for 14 months so I'm definitely not looking to repeat that with the 86.

I've never done an engine swap before so i'm not going to say it will be easy but I've already been researching the best options in regards to Gearboxes and ECU's that will make some of the biggest challenges in that step a bit smoother hopefully.
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic