FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Bringing an 86 back from the dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Luke Luke wrote:

Are you replacing the entire dashboard or just the airbag modules?

The whole dash, the passenger side one smashes a massive hole in it.
When you buy a set of airbags they come like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-GT86-Airbag-Kit-2012-2016-Driver-Passenger-Knee-Dashboard-Seatbelts/252196028569?hash=item3ab80e0099:g:v8gAAOSwHjNV-ZA2
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Sponsored Links

Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 11:10pm
Next few weeks are going to be exciting!

Received the New Front bumper, O/S front wing, O2 Sensor and Aircon Condenser today!Also received confirmation of my big order from the US being dispatched, might be here as early as Friday if im lucky!

Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:12pm
More parts today!

Got my massive order in from Ft86Speedfactory in the US, they shipped it on Tuesday and it arrived today!

Everything from a new Radiator, Radiator Fans & Cold Air Intake to interior trim pieces, magnetic sump plug and more!

Going to have a big update this weekend!

20180412_183343 - Copy.jpg

Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Red Duke View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:21pm
Your pile of parts is almost as big as mine for my Skyline! Lol

My GT86 pile is probably half that size, haha. Looking forward to seeing it all coming together! Great job so far!
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Red Duke Red Duke wrote:

Your pile of parts is almost as big as mine for my Skyline! Lol

My GT86 pile is probably half that size, haha. Looking forward to seeing it all coming together! Great job so far!

Haha got to love having a massive pile of car parts to fit!
waiting for a new dash with airbags and carbon bonnet at the end of the month too! Thumbs Up
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
NerysGT View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NerysGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:05pm
and they say girls can shop!!
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 5:23pm
Got some progress done this weekend although there aren't many pictures im afraid.

Had my friend over to sort out the small bits of welding on the new front end pieces, this was fairly easy and clean on most parts but got a bit tricky for him where he was trying to weld the new thin gauge steel pieces to the much thicker pieces of the chassis legs, it's all welded up though and definitely strong but not the most pretty in those areas.

While he was busy at work I was also busy.. in my own way LOL

Once this was done we got the new radiator, Radiator fans, AC condesnor and Rad filler neck fitted. Not the most difficult job in the world but I can now safely say without a doubt that I HATE those rubber radiator hoses!

All in all a pretty good day, there are a couple of small issues I need to get sorted out and then I can start bolting the crash support, washer bottle, etc back on.

Couple of issues I ran in to were the fact that one AC pipe is bent, going to give it a whack to see if i can straighten it out before buying a new one if need be and the lower AC pipe's O-ring is broken so i'll have to source a new one of those.
The more exensive issue is that 2 of the Cam Solenoid connectors are broken so I need to get 2 more of those too.

Still planning to have the car back on the road by the end of the summer, shame it won't be done before hand but with car tax on the subaru and other bills coming through this month it would be silly to try and rush things and push myself to live on a shoe string to get this repair completed.

Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
Few more exciting parts today :)
It was my Birthday today Big smile so I had the day off work, excellent opportunity to take delivery of the Seibon carbon bonnet from Amber performance:

Ordered this a little while ago along with the new dash and airbags that should be arriving tomorrow finger's crossed!

Also got a few car related birthday presents including some new working gloves, bonnet struts and Mishimoto intake pipe for the 86.

Spent a small bit of my afternoon just tidying up the engine bay ready for the next steps which is to fit the new intake and get the crash bar, washer bottle, etc all re-fitted before body panels.
I got rid of the extra bits that hang on to the intake, im not a fan of funneling intake noise in to the cabin and i'd rather have the engine bay a little less crowded. Speaking of which, does anyone know the torque specs for the crash bar bolts?

Got a new bonnet latch coming from Toyota as well however the 86 may need to take a bit of a back seat for a few weeks. Keep meaning to sort out a few issues on our Vx220 track car so gives me some time to save funds, wait for the new cam solenoids to arrive and so on!

Edited by Samwise - 26 Apr 2018 at 7:34pm
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
Nails View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:22pm
Good work Sam, saw your scooby at incarnation at the weekend, didn't see you though haha
Samwise View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Nails Nails wrote:

Good work Sam, saw your scooby at incarnation at the weekend, didn't see you though haha

Oh really? I was wondering if anyone from here was going to be there but didn't see a thread anywhere :)
Managed to give the Scoob a wash the day before the event and even had the Vx220 there, the blue one not far from the scoob :) it was a lovely day for it!
Subaru WRX JDM Import
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota GT86
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic