FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Bird Poo - A Cautionary Tale!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senna View Drop Down
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:15pm
Glad you kept up the pressure and got a result.

Most modern (acrylic based) paints are poorer than of old, but I must say the paint on our two Skoda's is vastly superior to that on the GT86 (and Honda no better) so these Jap manufacturers need to raise their game in this area...
Detailing guru...- Keep it clean, folks! Now a powerful Sith Lord after lusting for power & being seduced by the Dark Side (PORSCHE! ). Still a GT86 fan though...
Sponsored Links

RemaL View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RemaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:13pm
I was away one weekend and the wife parked our old Honda As per normal on the drive. 48 hours later I came home and seen the bird poo and it had also gone through the clear coat to Primer. not pleased. and nothing Honda would do. the car was only a year old. 

but this was when we had a very hot weekend. 

Water based paint seems crap compared to 2 pac
Loconinja View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loconinja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:40pm
I made the mistake of wiping some bird poo from the roof with a piece of kitchen towel.  Left a nice bunch of scratches behind.  The paint on these cars is very soft.
CXJ View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CXJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:03am
you hit the nail on the head. The actual repair has gone Gladwins as Toyota's approved repairer, so I'm comfortable with that, but I will be inspecting VERY carefully before I agree to take it away! I have though lost all faith in the dealer as you say. When servicing time comes I'll be driving a little further afield. Hopefully I will get it back this week.
Moves With Clouds View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moves With Clouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:10pm
I must have parked in the wrong place because the bird poo in that spot eats through the paint in no time. It's sticks very strongly but I can make it softer by keeping it wet and then proceeding to remove it. But the damage to the paint is done. So watch it, some birds are relatively harmless, others have weapons grade poo.

Edited by Moves With Clouds - 14 May 2018 at 4:01pm
Just keep it pointed in the general direction you want to go
Evoblue View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evoblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:13pm
Out of Interest....what is the safest way of removing bird poo?
Subota Boy View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Subota Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:32pm
Wet it and don't be impatient.  Give it a few minutes to soften and ease it off gently with as little rubbing as possible.  You may get top layer off at first go, or all of it if not dried in the sun.  Then wet again what is left and again leave it a minute. Also depends on the bird's diet of course.  You may still find the deposit leaves a watermark-like ring, then it is down to a light polish perhaps, but try not to scratch the injured area.  Smile 

We have a lot of seagulls, and I do my best to ensure that there is a good layer of wax or sealant on all the horizontal surfaces especially, to help if I have not spotted the evidence soon enough.
Toyotas C-HR, IQ, and black GT86 modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler and Valenti rear lights.
Nasher View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:09pm
I've pretty much given up trying to keep modern paint pristine. You just can't if you use the car regularly.
NerysGT View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NerysGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:02pm
I have a large flowering and fruit baring cherry tree on my front garden. Leaves fall all over my cars in the autumn, blossoms fall all over them in spring and pips are spat down from ravenous birds in the summer... not to mention the purple poo they produce from eating the cherries... bloomin nightmare... seriously thinkin about having it taken down since I've had the 86.
Evoblue View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evoblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:17pm
Cheers Bud, I'll give that a go next time Smile

Originally posted by Subota Boy Subota Boy wrote:

Wet it and don't be impatient.  Give it a few minutes to soften and ease it off gently with as little rubbing as possible.  You may get top layer off at first go, or all of it if not dried in the sun.  Then wet again what is left and again leave it a minute. Also depends on the bird's diet of course.  You may still find the deposit leaves a watermark-like ring, then it is down to a light polish perhaps, but try not to scratch the injured area.  Smile 

We have a lot of seagulls, and I do my best to ensure that there is a good layer of wax or sealant on all the horizontal surfaces especially, to help if I have not spotted the evidence soon enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic