FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

Ade’s Road and Track GT86

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Chris Bailey View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:08am
How hard is the secondary cat/decat to fit? I've got a Cobra 2.5" secondary decat which I'm going to fit? Is it an easy enough job to do? I'll be doing it on a ramp at work.
Sponsored Links

MattGT View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:21am
Its easy unless you do this...

The overpipe studs are  prone to snapping. My car was less than a year old when this happened.

Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:26am
Blimey Matt! Mine came off easy enough! 
Ade's Road and Track Car Thread
Cosworth - AP Racing - Ohlins - Hayward & Scott
Matt@Cosworth View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt@Cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
thats easy done, the exhaust studs are harder than the hobs of hell
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 9:53am
Just a little update. Ive got a trackday booked on the 28th at Snetterton so will see how much louder the car is with the new Frontpipe. 

I have to say I am very happy with the sound, just the right tone without making your ears bleed on the motorway. 

The gaskets I used (bog standard ebay oem style) started blowing almost straight away so I picked up some Remflex 6005 Graphite Gaskets. They are very thick and designed to crush 50% which allows a bit of movement.

The problem with the aftrmarket exhaust bits that are simply two flanges with holes and are held together with a nut and bolt, is that they can flex and the thin gaskets start to leak/blow. OEM use studs on the manifold flange and OP-FP flange, which makes for a much more rigid connection and avoid this issue. It just makes it a pain to remove. 

Remflex have a lot of different gaskets so check your requirements - bolt hole spacing and diameter

Here is the one I used with 2..5" centre hole. I have to modify them a tad as the bolt hole spacing was a bit wide. 

teejee View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teejee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:20pm
Hi Ade,
I have  a few question regarding your oil cooler setup.
What size of the connections have you used for the Laminova oil cooler? (water side, oil side, hose size)
What kind of additional sandwich plate have you installed for the sensors? Did it sit in that well of filter strait or required some trimming?  Have you used any spacer? Do you have some more closer pics of it? Is the center bolt in one piece or two?

What pressure drop have you seen after installing Laminova cooler? Is it bigger or smaller than with the prev air/oil cooler setup. I have not decided yet, what to install.
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by teejee teejee wrote:

Hi Ade,
I have  a few question regarding your oil cooler setup.
What size of the connections have you used for the Laminova oil cooler? (water side, oil side, hose size)
What kind of additional sandwich plate have you installed for the sensors? Did it sit in that well of filter strait or required some trimming?  Have you used any spacer? Do you have some more closer pics of it? Is the center bolt in one piece or two?

What pressure drop have you seen after installing Laminova cooler? Is it bigger or smaller than with the prev air/oil cooler setup. I have not decided yet, what to install.

Hi, 

No trimming required and center bolt is two pieces to get it to fit nicely. 

Regarding pressure drop I haven't measured it but my pressure sensor is after the cooler and I 4-5 Bar at 3k ~ 80C oil temp 

Up at 110C its around 6Bar @ 7k  w

Thats with 0W30 oil.

I have since dropped to 0W20 which gives a bit lower pressure. 

The old radiator style cooler was very good but I didnt try it on track so I can say what the max temp was. 

Here's the parts list.

Mocal do 3 sizes of differing lengths. You want the 245mm overall. I got it from here:

You want the 38mm water fittings and whatever oil fitting you want to use. I used -10 JIC

Then I got the mishimoto silver non thermostatic sandwich plate:

The sensor plate:

and the mocal long center bolt:

and two banjo fittings:

I used quality aluminium fittings -10 JIC push on for AN10 Aeroquip

90deg fittings:

45Def Fitting:

about 1.5m of the FC598 aeroquip push on hose:

You'll also need a couple hose clamps for the 38mm water pipe:

Laminova ~£300
Mishi Sandwich plate ~ £50
Mishi Banjo x2 ~£60
Sensor plate ~ £10.5
Mocal Extension Bolt ~£12
90deg Ali fitting ~ £28
45deg Ali Fitting ~ £27
Hose ~ £18
Hose Clips ~£7

Grand total ~£512.5 Confused

teejee View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teejee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:07pm
Hi Ade,
Thanks, it is really helpful. Would you please post a photo of the sandwich plates back side?

The only think I am not sure, is the banjo bolt fitting. Probably it has more resistance than a simple elbow.
I hope you will go to track soon, so we can see some real figures regarding themp and pressure.🙂
I was on track last summer, and oil temp went up to 130C quickly and that time the car was NA.
I am wondering about CW temp too. As the oil will load up a lot of heat into CW, a bigger capacity cooler might be a good idea.
Ade View Drop Down
GT86 Guru
GT86 Guru
(GT86Owner)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by teejee teejee wrote:

Hi Ade,
Thanks, it is really helpful. Would you please post a photo of the sandwich plates back side?

The only think I am not sure, is the banjo bolt fitting. Probably it has more resistance than a simple elbow.
I hope you will go to track soon, so we can see some real figures regarding themp and pressure.🙂
I was on track last summer, and oil temp went up to 130C quickly and that time the car was NA.
I am wondering about CW temp too. As the oil will load up a lot of heat into CW, a bigger capacity cooler might be a good idea.

I'll get a pic at some point Thumbs Up

Ive been on track about 10 times since I did all the work/mods in 2015. Ive owned the car since 2012 and did some trackdays standard too. This is not my 1st build thread. I had an old one that was many many pages long but made this condensed one for ease of navigation as people were stuggling to find info through all of the pages of the thread. 

There is a graph on page one of oil temperature, water and intake temperature right after I talk about this oil cooler, from Bedford Autodrome.

In the 10 days I have done, some in 25C heat I never saw oil go much over 110C and coolant in the 80s (I have a low temp thermostat). 

Regarding pressure drop through the banjos - its very small as they are massive banjos. Below is a diagram of the pressure loss in the mishimoto oil cooler for the GT86/imprezza. This includes the sandwich plate, banjos and the long oil lines and the radiator/cooler.

My oil lines are much shorter due to the laminova being just below the sandwich plate. So in a nutshell id expect it to be less than 5psi.  

teejee View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teejee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:43pm
Thanks Ade,  it is clear now, 
I use the car more on road, and for that the Laminova seems better, due faster heating up of oil in winter time. 
As it works well on track too, it seems the better choice for me too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic