FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

48Ah battery status log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
milligoon View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milligoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:50pm
Just a small update.

After drying tray out last night, this lunch time after removing the charging lead, the tray the battery stands in had water in it again, probably from the frost that melted this morning after last night's heavy frost.

Car was parked nose down on our drive, maybe the runoff from the scuttle runs into it? Probably will make no difference but you never know!

Will now see how the charged up battery lasts over the coming week.
Sponsored Links

BRZ View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 3:42pm
Thanks for your regular updates. Appreciate it! Keep them coming.
nikitopo View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikitopo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by CJS1 CJS1 wrote:

One of the reasons I got rid of it.

One of the reasons to get rid of it?  Wow! 
chess010 View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chess010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:07pm
About a year ago my battery a Panasonic battery fitted as standard failed and I got RRG Macclesfield to replace under warranty as battery failed cell fault I think if recall correctly but now have issues, see my post today in faults and fixes for this
Gt86 Giallo number 86
milligoon View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milligoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:01pm
Cheers for the info.

With an older car I had left for over three months while away at sea, it started first turn of the key, no messing about.

I charged it up over the weekend and have used it the last three days.

This is a snapshot from this afternoon.

Haven't fitted the jacket yet. Turned car nose up the drive and tray was dry but have only had frost and no rain overnight although yesterday evening on the way back from work it was snowing.

I'll still keep monitoring this.
milligoon View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milligoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 9:57am
From this morning after dropping off at Toyota to address a paint chip.

It shows regular depletion and small recovery as charged by the alternator each day, the trend is a downward direction obviously the 20 miles each way per day isn't enough to keep it at a level state.

At some point to I'll have to leave it for a week or so to see how it goes? Maybe temperature has a big effect on this maybe not it'll be interesting to see how it fairs when the weather warms up.
EB2429 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EB2429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by milligoon milligoon wrote:

From this morning after dropping off at Toyota to address a paint chip.

Maybe temperature has a big effect on this maybe not it'll be interesting to see how it fairs when the weather warms up.

See link to Yuasa information on cold weather vs car battery https://www.yuasa.co.uk/2017/10/yuasa-battery-check-dont-get-caught-out-this-winter/

Gist: Extreme temperatures  

The efficiency of the chemical reaction used to supply the electrical energy to start the engine is reduced by approximately 30% at 0°C and below and by greater levels as the temperature falls further. Therefore, even a brand new battery will supply 30% less power on a cold winter morning.

milligoon View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milligoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 3:58pm
Battery jacket fitted today.

Status at time of fit at lunch time.

May clean it over weekend as its looking a bit of a saltyseadog! If my hose is frozen then I'll be using the no water shine stuff I have some where.

May save any charging until it dips into the red on the sensor.
milligoon View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milligoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 7:24pm
Go figure

After adding water barrier to battery jacket to stop battery tray filling up with water.

Last night after using the 86 in the afternoon yesterday to do some DIY shopping, over night hours after parking up (about 5pm) the battery charge has increased a fair amount, given that it was about - 3 here this morning when I left for work in my other car.

Overview

More detailed view of time period

All very odd....
EB2429 View Drop Down
GT86 Groupie
GT86 Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EB2429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:20pm
Something doesn't read right in my view.

Have you tried to contact Ctek to ask how/if the battery can possibly show and increase charge without any charger plugged in or change in temp?  What is the margin for error with the product? Every day is a possible school day, but never heard of a battery doing this but still interesting none the less Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic