FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 Owners Club and BRZ Owners Club. The Toyota GT 86 Forums and BRZ forums are free to join and use - please sign up and say hello!

0W20 vs 5W30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbijay View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm
I've stuck with 0-20 as most of the time I'm cruising up &down the M5, so the economy is reasonably important. I don't drive it hard for long enough periods of use to worry about heat, but i'd probably switch it out if I FI'd it.
2015 Black // Nav // Reverse Camera // DAB // Dashcam

Cosworth Panel Filter // Fensport Remap
HKS UEL Catted Manifold // Miltek Overpipe // Berk HFC // Blitz NUR-Spec CTi Cat Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links

Moves With Clouds View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moves With Clouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by nikitopo nikitopo wrote:

Did you guys read the manual carefully?  It doesn't say you MUST use 0w20 oil, it is just recommended ...

If the manual says so I'd consider it a good guideline. Even though I suspect 'high speed' is not really that demanding because cooling works well at high speed.
Just keep it pointed in the general direction you want to go
BRZ View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:37pm
There is more to what the manual says to the right of the graph and also the graph itself has 2 viscosities explained, atleast in the Subaru version. Did not have a rotate image option, so might have to turn your smartphone to see. Smile It gets quite opinionated based on limited hear say, which is why i generally don't get into oil debates... The OP has already got his oil and its a confirmation bias at play here. 

Originally posted by nikitopo nikitopo wrote:

Did you guys read the manual carefully?  It doesn't say you MUST use 0w20 oil, it is just recommended ...

Kodename47 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
DJ Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodename47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:38pm
Also the OEM uses fully synthetic. I believe that it's recommended to only use FS and SS.
.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Litchfield Springs / Abbey MS Geo
MJG View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:42pm
Thanks Nikitopo!! This confirms as I thought 0W20 for emissions/economy and higher grade oil for higher load driving. As I've ordered a baffled sump pan you know I'm looking at the latter.

I will be interested to see if has any noticeable effect on the fuel economy.

I doubt temperatures will rise much but if so I can always get an oil cooler.
Deacon View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:57pm
I'm using 0w30 along with an oil cooler for use on track and having a sump baffle fitted shortly. I've blanked the cooler off during winter and have also fitted a higher temp thermostat to the oil cooler sandwich plate. I also have an oil temperature and pressure gauge fitted. This year I'll also swap back to 0w20 around October and again block off the cooler for the winter.
church View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote church Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:03pm
Hmm. But if there is thermostat .. is blocking off cooler needed?
Deacon View Drop Down
GT86 Expert
GT86 Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:50am
Originally posted by church church wrote:

Hmm. But if there is thermostat .. is blocking off cooler needed?

Yes. There is still flow through even with a thermostat.
Gavin_T View Drop Down
GT86 Senior
GT86 Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavin_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:44am
I am still using 0-20 as per Toyota. However as I do a few track days a year I am considering maybe changing next time Ermm
alex_brewster View Drop Down
GT86 Newbie
GT86 Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alex_brewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:07pm
For what it’s worth, I’d strongly advise against semi, semi uses group 1 or 2 baseoils (poorer quality), these are more prone to oxidation and could lead to increased build up of deposits/varnish amongst other things.
Personally I’ll be sticking with the 0W-20 genuine oil, or if track it I may consider a good quality 5W-30 - but I doubt it. Good quality chemistry in a 0W-20 more than makes up for it being thinner and protects against wear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic